Backup and restore

Picture of Paul Douglas
'Restore into this course' wipes out other backup files?

In this post I am simply asking if this is normal behaviour. I haven't been able to find anything about it on this forum and there doesn't seem to be any prior warning during the process. On the other hand, it may not be intended functionality, in which case I can pester our hosting provider.

So, this is what is happening:
A particular restore setting seems to wipe out everything in the 'Course backup area' list and 'Automated backups' list.

Specifically, if I chose to restore a backup with this setting:
Under 'Restore into this course' I choose the 'Delete the contents of this course and then restore' option.

Once the restore has completed, I return to the Restore page and see all backup files have disappeared ecept the ones in the 'User private backup area'.

Is this intended behaviour?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Emma Richardson
Re: 'Restore into this course' wipes out other backup files?
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

If the restore files are disappearing from the course that you are restoring into, I would think this is normal behavior as you have told it to delete everything.  

Picture of Paul Douglas
Re: 'Restore into this course' wipes out other backup files?

Thanks for the reply Emma.

I agree, this does appear to be what is intended. But I questioned it because there seems to be very little warning that this would happen.

"Delete the contents of this course..." didn't seem to make it obvious to me that all backup files would also be removed from the Automated and course backups areas.

I guess I am hoping for an official response in the absence of being able to find anything about it on the forums.

smile