General help

Picture of Eva Rodriguez-Maestre Ibiza
Playing .wmv with Moodle 2.5

Hi,

I've already uploaded a video following the right instructions and the problem is I can't play it. I don't know if it a problem with the plugins, even though everything seems right. The picture below shows the preview, but once I click on the "play" button, nothing happens.

Can you help me, please?

Thank you so much in advance,

Eva

Average of ratings: -
Picture of amit gupta
Re: Playing .wmv with Moodle 2.5

Hi Eva,

For video files preview is not available.

Try inserting the video, and check if it plays after it is inserted.

It worked for me few days back.

Regards,

Amit

Hi Amit,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I've already tried to play it after inserting it, but it simply won't open. I don't know if I have to fix anything else. I also uploaded mp4 videos, to check if the mistake was the extension, same hopeless result!

Cheers,

Eva

Picture of amit gupta

Hi Eva,

I am not sure about the root cause of problem, but it could be possible that maybe the server you are running Moodle on doesn't have videos' types (.wmv, .mp4, .avi, etc) defined in the mime types? See http://www.besthostratings.com/articles/mime-types-htaccess.html

Give it a try !!!

Regards,

Amit

Thanks for your response, I'll let you know how I solved it.

Eva

Picture of Christoph Ruda

Hi Eva,

I think I recognise what is going on. The VLC media player plugin has taken over the playing of .wmv files and fails to do so. I had the same on my windows PC at work using Firefox. Internet Explorer worked fine. To solve it I changed the file association for .wmv files back to the default Windows Media Player (Options > Applications > search for wmv).

I suspect the same would apply to mp4 files. I'm not sure what it is with the VLC plugin but I didn't have much success with it so far.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Christoph

Hi Christof,

Thanks a lot for your answer. It's very true that .wmv won't open if using firefox, the same video opened with IE. However, I've tried uploading an mp4 video and it works fine. So the problem seem to affect only .wmv files.

Now, the thing is, I don't get your instructions as to the default Windows Media Player. Where do I have to change that? What options am I supposed to edit? (I'm an ignorant!)

Thank you so much,

Eva