Installation help

email integration office 365

Picture of phil mr
email integration office 365

I recently setup version 2.5 and I use office 365 for email. I set up an email account for moodle and got all the settings put in. However I'm not having any luck getting emails to flow out of moodle. What am I missing?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of jason everling
Re: email integration office 365
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Did you log into that email account for moodle user and enable Pop/Imap access?

Here is a link to configure it;

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/web-apps-help/settings-for-pop-and-imap-access-HA102908389.aspx

Thanks,

JASON

Picture of phil mr

jason-in 365 you don't have to enable it so yes it's enabled. 

I am our Office 365 Admin also and by default ours is set to Disabled based on the rules we set in ECP and the student must enable it.

One thing I noticed when using Office 365 from Applications is that I have to specify the actual server name where the mailbox resides like pod51080.outlook.com port 587 using TLS. You can get the mail server name after logging into your account you wish to use and looking at the URL.

Thanks,

JASON

Picture of phil mr

Didn't think about the url needing to be the pod # instead of outlook. I did confirm smtp and all are enabled so shouldn't be any issues with moodle accessing the account and sending from it. 

How can I send a test email out of moodle? I don't see a way to do it so I'm assuming I just have to wait for it to try and shoot an email out to someone? Also is there a log file I can look at for this to see if/why it's not able to send out the emails?

We use Postifx locally on our server for Moodle but our other applications use Office 365 account for some and the direct URL works but the other method didn't.

You can look at the logs for your specific server OS. If it is linux it should be in /var/log/ called mail.log mail.info

You can also set your debug level in Moodle to Developer under Site Administration > Development > Debugging set it to Developer and make sure to uncheck the option to display on page if it is checked so all your users do not see the messages, this way it goes to logs only then look at /var/log/apache2/ error.log

Thanks,

JASON

Picture of phil mr

well moodle is still not sending out emails the way it should...checked the logs, not seeing anything causing issues. I've double and triple checked my smtp settings. Any suggestions?

Picture of phil mr

Progress has been made! just call me stupid for looking at the wrong log, I'm getting an smtp error: 571 client does not have permission to send as this user. 

Are you settings the SMTP username and the No-Reply address the same in Moodle? For Exchange these two addresses must be the same. If not you need to setup a "Send-As" privilege in the Exchange Console.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2572646

You can also setup an Internal SMTP relay on one of your servers,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2600912

If you still cannot get it to work my best advice is to install Postfix on the Moodle server before you strain your brain too much over it. Once you install postfix you do not have to configure anything, just set the SMTP host in Moodle as localhost. Localhost by default has rights to send through Postfix

JASON

Picture of phil mr

I do have them set the same, also tried an internal smtp relay with the same error, I've opened a case with microsoft as I know for sure it's not a moodle issue or a issue on my server.