How to create optional questions?

How to create optional questions?

by Yasser Kozize -
Number of replies: 6

Hi All,

I have version 2.4 and I need to do the following scenario in the quiz:

I have 5 essay questions (10 marks for the question)

The student should select and answer 4 questions from the 5 questions and the total mark should be out of 40.

Please your help.

Best Regards,

Yasser

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yasser Kozize

Re: How to create optional questions?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

From what I have seen, the only way to accomplish this is to write the options in the directions at the top of the quiz and then just have four essay questions and students just tell you which ones they are answering.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Yasser Kozize -

Thank you Emma for reply but still I will have problem with the total score since the Total of marks in my case will be 50 (5 questions * 10 marks) but the correct total should be 40 because one question will be ignored.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

But the way I put it you would only have four questions. So the grading would be fine. You would list the five options in the description and then just have four question entry slots for them to complete.

by Trevor Wilson -

Hi, Yasser

If you leave the 5 questions as 10 marks each, and set the quiz to be out of 40, Moodle will adjust the mark for you as if they got a zero on the fifth question.

In Grades -> Full View, you can readjust this mark by using the Multiplicator column for the quiz.

If my math is correct... a multiplicator of 1.25 (5/4) will readjust this.

The danger being that if your teacher marks all 5 questions, your student can potentially get 125%.
Hope this helps,

T

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Trevor Wilson

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Trevor "The danger being that if your teacher marks all 5 questions, your student can potentially get 125%."

No, this won't happen, I've tried it, and an activity score cannot exceed 100% (and that's a good thing).

Joseph