Make a course the front page

Make a course the front page

by Boris Puhanic -
Number of replies: 7

Is it possible to make a course the site front page instead of the default front page?

It would be nice to be able to apply a course format to the front page, and have a few more topic sections.

I'm using moodle 2.5

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Boris Puhanic

Re: Make a course the front page

by Domenico Recchia -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
In reply to Domenico Recchia

by Boris Puhanic -

Hi Domenico, thanks for the link.  I had a look through the info, but I couldn't really find the kind of solution I'm looking for (maybe it's there, but I missed it...).  It's not just the ability to customize the front page that I want - what I want is for the front page to be a course, so that when I click on "Administration > Edit Settings" I can apply a course format to the front page just like I can to any other course, and be able to have multiple sections that I can add activities to and so on.  It doesn't make sense why the structure of the front page has to be different from any other course page - .  There must be a way to do this ..?

by Domenico Recchia -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi there, 

Forgive my bad English .. I will try to do my best to make myself understood.

It's  possible to customize the "home page" of your course .. with the tools that Moodle provides (blocks, frames and sections).

It's possible for example to maintain the first section hiding all the other so as to avoid the "scroll of death".

From the home page you can then decide to move forward with a section at a time. Or .. using text or images can be linked to directly refer to the sections (topic, week) hidden.

The format of the courses (topic, weekly, SCORM, relational) and sections (topics) to be set, and if and how these should be shown to students, are adjusted in the settings.

To customize instead the "home page" in order to give it a different twist than the default, try to take a look here: 

PS: on youtube there are many tutorials with this topic.

More information on moodle docs:

http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Course_settings

I hope it is of help

by Ian Kris Banawa -

yes, i agree with this one. this one is hard so i wish to make and have the site in front page. default front page makes it more complicated.

In reply to Ian Kris Banawa

by James Brown -

The following works for me so hopefully it works for you too.

1) Login to the relevant course as usual and get the course's URL from the address bar of your browser, a typical one would looks like:

http://www.MyMoodleCourses.com/course/view.php?id=3

2) Use whatever html page editor available to you to craft your dream front page.

3) Choose an element from (2) and hyperlinking it with (1)

4) When course users mouse clicking (3), the browser will direct him/her to the login page and then to the course page.

Cheers James

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to James Brown

by Boris Puhanic -

Hi James,

that seems like a reasonable workaround. One thing, however, is that once the students are logged in and they click on 'Home' they'll be taken back to the default front page.  But I guess you can modify the link to 'Home' as well.  Anyway, I'll try it out.

Also since I'm logged in here, I just want to explain what I was thinking might be possible - in the theme layout folder there are the two files "frontpage.php" and "general.php", both containing the script: php echo $OUTPUT->main_content(), to generate their respective layouts.  So I was wondering if it were possible to change the 'content' of the main_content() function for the front page and add whatever it is that generates the course type layout in general.php into frontpage.php.  Just another topic section or two and lay them out in a grid or a masonry style format, or whatever.  I realize this is probably not such a simple task, but I can't imagine it should be so complicated that it would take me (who isn't much of a programmer) more than a few hours or so of trial-and-error editing, either - after which, if it doesn't work I'll give up.

So I'm wondering where the code that generates the 'content' of the front page is, the site topic box in particular.  Does anyone know? I roughly looked through the lib/output*lib and pagelib files and various other places, but didn't come across anything recognizable (to me, that is).

Boris.