Feedback

Picture of Martin LaGrow
System-wide feedback

Hi,

I am working with an institution that wants to collect systemwide feedback on student satisfaction. The feedback tool works well in individual courses, but is there a way to compile that data by department or even sitewide? Or is there another way to gather this kind of data so that we can get a 30,000 foot view of student satisfaction?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Emma Richardson
Re: System-wide feedback
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Put the feedback on the front page and open it up so that students do not have to log in so that they can fill it out anonymously. 

Then, what I do, is have the first question ask what teacher/course they are submitting feedback for.  You could ask what category/department. 

Then just download to Excel and filter away!

Picture of Martin LaGrow

Right, we had arrived at that as one conclusion. However, administration did not care for this solution because there is no data integrity. There's no way to validate that a student is in a course that they claim to be in, whereas using the feedback tool within the course shows that the student is enrolled. Thanks for the idea, though!

Picture of Emma Richardson
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

So, then require a person to be logged in to complete the feedback.  Or create a course, add all students to it and place the feedback there. However, I believe that you will not get as accurate a view if students have to log in because then they know their answers are tracked and traceable.

The other thing you could do, is password protect the feedback and only give out the password to students within their courses.  This way you could actually give out a separate code for each course so you could verify that way.

I do this to stop Tom, Dick and Harry randomly coming to my site and filling out feedback.  My first question is password and then the second page is conditional on them typing the correct password in.

Picture of Andreas Grabs
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators
Hi Martin,

did you try the feedback-block (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=155450)?
With this block you can publish a centralized feedback from the frontpage in all or several courses.
The analysed results and the xls-export can be filtered by course.
Maybe that is what you want.

Best regards
Andreas

Picture of Martin LaGrow

Hi Andreas,

This looks promising! You'll have to bear with me, I'm fairly new with Moodle. I have added the Feedback block to the main page, but when I turn editing off, it is no longer visible. How do I configure it so that once it's enabled, it is also visible? It's not hidden, there must be another step. Thanks!

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

See number 10 in the documentation here -"map feedback to courses" Feedback settings

Picture of Martin LaGrow

Thank you! I have now been experimenting with it for a little bit.

In my environment, it looks like something is prohibiting me from allowing users to fill out the feedback more than once. This would prohibit students from being able to submit results for more than one class, wouldn't it? So the student sees the block in every course that it is mapped to, but once they'd fill it out once, they couldn't do it again in another course, it would seem.

Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Martin "...  so that we can get a 30,000 foot view of student satisfaction"

I have no idea what this figure means.mixed

Picture of Martin LaGrow

Sorry...it's just a figure of speech, meaning we'd like a broad overview of student satisfaction across the whole system, as opposed to just the level of feedback provided in one course. It would be great if there was a way to compile all the data from all course feedback in every course easily.

Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

"it's just a figure of speech"

I guessed so, but had never come across it before.

"It would be great if there was a way to compile all the data from all course feedback in every course easily."

You can do this in the Questionnaire plugin, using the Public questionnaire feature.

Joseph

Picture of Martin LaGrow

Thanks Joseph. This might do the trick! Once I create a public questionnaire, how do I get it to show in another course? I've gone through the steps, I believe, but I never see an option to use that public questionnaire. Any advice is appreciated!

1. Create a course that will simply be a shell for any public questionnaires. Give it whatever title you like. You can hide the course entirely.
  2. Create your questionnaire in this course. Be sure to select Public for the questionnaire type.
  3. Build all of the questionnaire questions in this public questionnaire.
  4. Navigate to the course where you want to place the questionnaire for respondents.
  5. Select the option to add a questionnaire. Complete the creation screen. For Type, select Respond once. For Respondent Eligibility, select Students only (I can't, it says replaced by role overrides)For Questionnaire type, select Private. Then select the public questionnaire you created in the other course(I selected private but I don't see anywhere to select the public questionnaire).
  6. After you save your changes, the same screen will appear. Note that the questionnaire type now says "Public," and the selected public questionnaire is shown below.
  7. Test it out! Student responses will appear in the original questionnaire, but will not be visible at all in the local questionnaire. Teachers will be able to preview the survey, but will not be able to respond to it or to view responses.

Picture of Joseph Rézeau

Can a moderator move Martin's last post to the Questionnaire forum where it belongs?

Thanks!

Joseph