Rubrics + Scale ' Marking Method' Option? (M2.5)

Rubrics + Scale ' Marking Method' Option? (M2.5)

by Chris Chapman -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all, just working on rubrics, when a lecturer asked me can I use a scale with my rubric instead of points?- I then found this link: http://moodleista.wordpress.com/2011/12/01/using-rubrics-in-moodle-2-0/

which would suggest its possible, however when I Define a new rubric I dont get a 'Marking Method' Option.

any ideas?

Regards

Chris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Chapman

Re: Rubrics + Scale ' Marking Method' Option? (M2.5)

by Joanna Beaver -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hello 

I am using Moodle 2.9 and would also like to use a scale on the rubric instead of points. I cannot see a reply to the original post so apologies if I have missed it. 

As Chris mentioned in the OP, I too have seen the 'Marking Method' referred to in various video tutorials/webpages but cannot find this in the later versions of Moodle, unless it requires some other admin setting to become visible? 

Is it possible to use scale rubric grading in 2.9 or has it been removed?

Regards

Joanna

In reply to Joanna Beaver

by Kim Salinas -
Picture of Testers

I believe you can use a scale with a rubric. You can use a standard scale or create a custom scale in your course (Administration > Grades > Scales). When you create your assignment, select Scale as the Grade Type within the Grade setting of the assignment.

If a scale is used instead of a grade, the score will be converted to the scale elements as if they were consecutive integers. The scale is what will show up in the gradebook.

In reply to Kim Salinas

by Joanna Beaver -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Kim thanks for responding.

What I have tried so far is to create a scale in Admin>Grades>Scales. I created a 20 point scale from 0,1,2,....20. I created the assignment, selected 'scale' as Grade Type, '20 point scale' as Scale, and 'Rubric' as Grading Method. Save and display>create new rubric. Here, it does not give me an option to set as scale, only as points - so I tried adding in 5, 10, 15, 20 (4 levels) in the hope it might convert them but they remain as Points only. The conversion of the point score to scale elements that (I believe) was an option in the earlier versions of Moodle is not appearing (for me) in 2.9.

In reply to Joanna Beaver

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Joanna,

The scale is only applied to the final grade of the activity, not to the levels of each category in a rubric, and will show up in the grade book. The levels of each category in the rubric will still show points and not a scale (as you also found out).

If you need scales instead of points in a rubric, you can post an improvement in Moodle Tracker.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Average of ratings: Useful (1)