General help

IPAD Courses Don't resize properly. V2.5.1

Picture of Hugh Edwards
IPAD Courses Don't resize properly. V2.5.1

Hello Everyone, 

Ok, I'm pretty much up and running now - everything is going smoothly! I really only have one problem left and that's looking at the courses on an IPAD. 

I'm creating Scorm courses in Storyline, and they are working great in all browsers. I'm ticking the HTML 5 option and that's also working well - it does play in the IPAD and tracks in the LMS. 

The problem I have is that even though I have the resize option selected in Storyline (this does resize the player in browsers) on the Ipad, only two thirds of the player (horizontally) shows in the player window. I'm not sure why this is, and although I've tried a lot, I can't find any answers previously of how to fix this. 

If anyone has any pointers I would really appreciate it. smile 

Hugh. smile

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Hugh Edwards
Re: IPAD Courses Don't resize properly. V2.5.1

Bump!

Picture of Hugh Edwards

Anyone? would really appreciate the help. smile 

Picture of Hugh Edwards

Hi Guys and Gals, 

I'm presuming that no one knows how to fix this? smile 

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would really help! smile

Picture of Doug Moody
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

OK. I'll take a rudimentary stab at it.

I assume you are using Safari, right? Well, not being an Apple guy, I wonder if you can test this in another kind of browser?

It might not be a moodle thing at all. In fact, on PCs, there are similar issues, and one browser will look completely different from another, on the same machine.

Seeing as you are using an iPad, perhaps a different browser would alleviate the issue. In my classes, I tell all my students NOT to use Internet Explorer. Its as buggy as year old oatmeal. I tell them to use Chrome or Firefox and all is well. But video will not play at all on IE.

Go figure.

Picture of Hugh Edwards

Hi Doug. 

Firstly, thanks for the reply!!! smile 

Secondly, I have tried it in other browsers and I think that Safari isn't to blame as it's like that on Chrome on the IPad as well. I think it's a resolution/sizing issue. Apparently, you can launch the Articulate Player on Ipad through Tin Can, but I have no idea what Tin Can is or how it links into Moodle. A search in the admin search bar on tincan doesn't bring up anything. 

PS the reason I'm testing it on IPads is that we want to offer tablets to our users, rather than just myself. smile 

Thanks! smile 

Hugh. 

Picture of Debbie K

Hi Hugh

We have been unable to get Storyline authored content to play properly in Moodle on IPad using SCORM or web publishing.

Web format will play so long as there is no video content or interactions.

Storylines Articulate player does not work in Moodle - It is a known issue Articulate support will verify.

Like you, we purchased Storyline to be able to offer the Ipad compatibility but are finding it falls very short of doing that at present - certainly in Moodle.

We are also finding many of the interactions (quiz type)  do not work on iPad in Moodle or when tested on Scorm cloud either.

If you find a solution - do please share!

If we do, I will post that too!

Picture of Doug Moody
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

OK, you tried other browsers. So that's probably not the issue.

But, what PLAYER in moodle is serving up the videos?

I ask because I had similar problems with other players. I finally settled on JPlayer and everything is running fine on other platforms using MP4, including iPad.

It would help if you could describe how you are embedding the videos into moodle.

Plus, there is an issue with MP4 on Apple platforms. It seems they need to have a different metadata format within the MP4. PCs aren't as picky, and they don't really care where the metadata is in the file, but Apple does.

Perhaps you could get a certified mp4 on the web that has been proven to run on iPads, and load that into moodle as a test. If it plays, then the problem is the file, not moodle.If it doesn't, well at least we know where to look.

If its the file, then there are utilities out there that will convert existing files into more compatible formats, such as Miro video converter. (free)

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Hugh Edwards

Hi Debbie K and Doug. 

Having spoken to one of the Moodle dev's, it seems that it's a known issue in Moodle and they are working on a solution, or have worked on a solution for the 2.6 release in November. 

I'm going to hold fire for that and keep my fingers crossed. My site isn't live yet, so I can afford to do that luckily. 

I'll post back in here once I've tested when the stable upgrade is released. smile 

Thanks for your help! 

Hugh.

Picture of Hugh Edwards

Hi Debbie. 

Happily I can report that Moodle 2.6 fixes the issue and that IPad content authored by Storyline now fits correctly. smile 

Hugh.

Picture of Gareth Cosens

Yes, the HTML5 storyline courses are now resized properly, however there are still some issues sad

The resize only happens in Safari, not Chrome and Opera is a non starter.

It seems that the position of action listeners do not match the position of the marker or other button. It is as if the visual elements are being resized correctly but the hotspots (for want of a better word) are still in the unscaled position.

They work fine when played on an iPad in a browser directly, but NOT when played in moodle.

Picture of David Pesce

Hmmm, I'm running Moodle 2.6+ (Build: 20131220), and still get issues when loading Storyline content. Both within the same window and in a popup.

Picture of Hugh Edwards

For this to work properly, you need to ensure that the settings in the Storyline player, i.e., the course are correct with regard to resizing, not just in Moodle. Click the player in storyline and then the cog for the settings and ensure it's set to auto resize. 

Please also be aware that there are issues with scorm courses (in general) and the fact that they aren't tracking properly in Moodle 2.5 and 2.6. I've commented on another thread about this 9if you do a search on my posts) - you can get it to work by saving as Scorm 2004 V4 rather than Scorm 1.2  - but it's not supported anymore. Just a tip. smile 

Picture of Linda Herring

Hi all,

I am totally new to Moodle, and so apologize for what may be a naive question, but this seems to be the place.

I have a client that uses Moodle 2.3.2. They want courses now that can be accessed via PC and iPad and Android tables (no iphones).

Completion must be tracked by Moodle.

Originally, I thought developing in Articulate Storyline or Studio 13 and publishing to html5 might solve this; however, several gotchas here and on other sites cause concern. Specifically,

- Articulate doesn't support html5 on Android

- From this thread and others, even on the iPad it doesn't always work smoothly.

- Articulate Mobile app cannot be used with Moodle for tracking.

- I'm not sure if 2.3.2 supports Tin Can API, which might solve the iPad problem but not Android.

I was then considering developing content modules in Articulate that don't have to be tracked and separate quizzes in moodle for tracking. But that doesn't solve the Android issues. And is this way off base?

Since I'm still new to moodle and before I invest another 25 hours in research an approach, can anyone point me in a good direction?

Many thanks in advance.

Picture of Hugh Edwards

HI Linda. 

iPad courses in Scorm 1.2 track and work fine here. The only things that are a bit dodgy are:

1. The seekbar doesn't work properly. Probably due to flash. 

2. the company logo doesn't appear in the player

3. Restricting the menu doesn't work on the ipads, it allows you to click anywhere even if you have it set to Restricted viewing. 

I can only offer you my thoughts on Android - we don't support it. Stats from our site are currently 943 iPad users, 32 android users - so we don't worry about it, especially as there are so many android flavours. 

Hope that helps! 

Hugh.

P.s., there are quite a few teething problems with Scorm courses in Moodle, but once all the issues are fixed (and they were all fixable thanks to excellent Moodlers) it's stable. 

Picture of Linda Herring

Hugh,

Thank you so much for your response. It does help a lot.

When you say "we" don't support Android, do you mean your own company or Moodle?

Thank you again for your insight.

Picture of Laura Hiltabidel

I am having the same issue.  I recently upgraded to Moodle 2.6 and I am not able to get the courses to display properly on an ipad. 

The course does not resize correct and is too big to fit on the screen.  I am using Storyline as my authoring tool.

Any help would be great.

Picture of jen r

I am in the same situation. The only difference being that I am using Captivate to build the scorm package. They resized properly before the upgrade. My scorm package contains both an swf file and a html5 file. The html5 is the file attempting to play on the iPad.  Any suggestions?

Picture of Cédric Mallet

Same problem for me : moodle 2.7 and Articulate Storyline Update 5.

I think I run through all available options in Articulate & moodle. This gives great results on a PC using chrome (the new windows resizes to fit the screen size, and so does the player, with no scrolling, happy me).

But I got no good result on the iPad: I can see that something changes the player size to a wrong value, because I see the spinner in the middle of the screen while loading the first slide, and then in a sudden it gets bigger and offset.

It might be that tweaking the js code in the Articulate player could solve this. Any idea or experience much appreciated here !

Here are the settings I have :

Articulate

moodle

Picture of Chad Nixon

Here is something  I am using for iPad in Moodle. I am doing this with Tin Can and working it without an LRS. The tracking comes from Moodle. Take a look and see if this works for you. http://nixinteractive.com/nolrs/.

This is the code that I modified to get this to work in 2.6.5. If you use his code from the link below it may give you an error because it was built for 2.4.1.  If you install this package in place of a later version of SCORM, you may need to change the version date in the version.php file so that Moodle will accept as an upgrade.

https://github.com/jgsmitty