Restore a course into another at the bottom of the course

Restore a course into another at the bottom of the course

by Matt Nagy -
Number of replies: 2

I'm fairly new to the forums, so forgive me if this isn't the right spot for this post. I searched for answers and found none. I am combining 9 courses into one mega course. They go in a certain order, so I started by backing up the first one, and then restoring it into a new course. Then I backed up the second one and restored it into the same new course. I used the only relevant option which was "merge into existing course." Unfortunately, the merge does just that... seemingly randomly placing all the parts into different areas of the new course. So, by the last course, reorganizing the latest merge is a serious pain. Why isn't there an option to "merge into existing course (at the bottom)??  I would think that would always work better. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Nagy

Re: Restore a course into another at the bottom of the course

by ben reynolds -

I can't answer your question, Matt, but I can offer you a workaround, after I warn you that a megacourse's scroll of death might be a really bad idea. I'm working on a course now that is so long that the yui script used when you're an editing teacher stops running and needs to be turned on with the "continue" button.

OK, here's what you do. count the number of sections in the first course. Count the number in the second course. Add that many sections to the third course. Move them all the way to the top of the course. Merge third with your megacourse. Everything is in the right place.

Rinse. Repeat.

In reply to Matt Nagy

Re: Restore a course into another at the bottom of the course

by Stuart Mealor -

"Why isn't there an option to "merge into existing course (at the bottom)??  I would think that would always work better."

Well it depends on what you are actually doing. If you had one "live" course with a number of Topics, and different Teachers developing their Topics in different Courses, the ability to merge these together for updates is great.

However, as Ben suggests, setting up some empty Topics/Weeks in the Courses you are merging from will help ensure the content from each stays together in one Topic/Week (make sure you have enough empty Topics/Weeks in your target Course also first).

With the new functionality to display just one Topic/Week at a time, the usability of 'mega courses' is now pretty good.