averaging Likert Scale including "not applicable" choice

averaging Likert Scale including "not applicable" choice

by Jack Kammer -
Number of replies: 7

(I'm new and looked for a way to search only in the Questionnaire forum. Did I miss it?)

In a survey consisting of Likert scale questions with numerically scored choices, I need to include also a "not applicable to me" choice. Can the system be made to automatically exclude those "n/a" choices from its calculation of the average score for each question?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jack Kammer

Re: averaging Likert Scale including "not applicable" choice

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Which versions of Moodle and Questionnaire are you using?

Please provide a concrete example of your Likert question.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Jack Kammer -

Thanks for your reply.

I am not yet using Moodle; I am researching the best tool for me. I expect I would choose the most recent stable version of Moodle unless it does not have the capability I need and an earlier one does.

Sample question:

In my experience at my job I often feel such-and-such.

__ I Strongly Disagree [Score +2]

__ I Disagree [Score +1]

__ I am Neutral on this; neither Agree nor Disagree [Score 0]

__ I Disagree [Score -1]

__ I Strongly Disagree [Score -2]

__ This does not apply to me or my job position. [No score; answer and respondent not to be included in average score calculation]

In reply to Jack Kammer

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I suppose you meant:

I Strongly Agree [Score +2]
I Agree [Score +1]
I am Neutral on this; neither Agree nor Disagree [Score 0]
I Disagree [Score -1]
I Strongly Disagree [Score -2]

Do you envisage using Moodle only for its questionnaire module? If so, I would rather advise using of the many standalone survey-like software, e.g. the excellent LimeSurvey.

Joseph

by Jack Kammer -

With all due respect, Joseph... My sample question and its scoring are valid as I wrote them. The scoring could be positive or negative depending on the characteristic or attitude in question.

I would like to use moodle for many of its capabilities, not just the questionnaire. The function I am asking about will be key to deciding which LMS is best for me.

Does anyone know the answer to my question?

In reply to Jack Kammer

by Jack Kammer -

Joseph, My apologies! You were correct in pointing out my typos in the sample question.

In reply to Jack Kammer

by Joseph Rézeau -

The Moodle Questionnaire add-on plugin will do what you want. It is not possible to enter negative values for liker-scale items, but this should not be a problem. A 0 to 4 scale is the same as a -2 to +2 scale. It all depends what you are going to do with the data, especially if you export the responses data to a spreadsheet or stats package to process it.

Screenshot of this question editing interface:

screenshot #1

Screenshot of the responses data report:

screenshot #2

3 responses, 1 Strongly Agree, 1 Agree and 1 N/A = "no answer". Average "rank" is 1.5 and average "value" of those who answered is 3.5.

Hope this answers your original question,

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Jack Kammer -

Thank you, Joseph. This does indeed answer my question. I am very grateful. My apologies again for misreading your correction of my typo.

Best regards,

Jack