Wimba Voice Tools

Wimba Voice Tools

by Sean S -
Number of replies: 10
I just recieved a comment on my blog asking about moodle and wimba voice tools. I'm pretty sure it's not integrated, but thought I would check. The commenter also provided login & password to a blackboard site with wimba installed.

It was really cool. It is possible for the student to listen to audio as well as record their voice and send a voice message to the instructor.

You can see the comment on my blog here.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sean S

Re: Wimba Voice Tools

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Sean,

Yes, unfortunately Wimba is a commerical product that is integrated with BB at a high cost.  You can see two other threads where this has been discussed at Moodle for Language Teaching...
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=18895
and
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=5664

The big hope we all have is that Francoise Blin's project "Voice to Moodle" will develop soon.  I think it all depends on how her funding goes.
Cheers,  Don
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Sean S -
Don,

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that. It's good to hear there's work on making it possible with moodle.

by James Phillips -
Don!
How are you doing?
I see that the "Voice to Moodle" appears to plug gong into moodle. As things currently stand, Gong requires both the Java 2 runtime environment and the Java media framework to be installed on the users computer before it will run. Will the same be the case when it is plugged into moodle or are the guts of Gong going to be re-worked in some way so that this is no longer necessary?
Cheers,
James Phillips
In reply to James Phillips

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi James,
Wish I could answer you.  smile   I have no idea what is happening over in Dublin right now.  We will just have to wait a while for Francoise to report--she stops by 2-3 times a year.  If you have an urgent need or something to contribute, please send her an email directly.  I will probably meet her in August at the EuroCALL conference and have more news then.
Cheers,
Don

by Françoise Blin -
Just a quick reply...

We are snowed under with marking exams at the moment (among other things such as giving moodle workshops to colleagues and preparing for my PhD viva for July...) so I haven't had time to stop by...

The programming side of things is nearly finished as far as I know (I am not dealing directly with that side of things) but our programmer is right in the middle of his final exams so we don't want to disturb him too much.

As far as I know, most of it is done apart from a quick and easy installation. It won't be exactly plugged into Moodle but rather sit besides it. Teachers and students will however be able to set it up and use it from within their Moodle course. At the moment, it still requires Java Media Framework to be installed on the computers. But I'll get my colleague looking after the coding side of things to drop by...

Once we have tested it on a local machine, it will move on the university moodle test site for further testing and then the plan is to give it to those willing to improve it...

I should definitely be able to talk to Don about it in Cracow at the end of August (I am definitely going to the EUROCALL conference).

Françoise
In reply to Françoise Blin

Re: Voice to Moodle Update

by Don Hinkelman -
Thanks, Francoise! This is good news indeed. We look forward to hearing from your programmer colleague as soon as exams are over. I am sure there a lot of technical questions from James and others. smile
In reply to Sean S

by Matt Wasowski -
Hi Sean,
Just to let you know, the integration between Moodle and Horizon Wimba's Live Classroom and its Wimba Voice Tools is currently being developed.

Cheers!
Matt
In reply to Matt Wasowski

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Matt,

This is great news about a Moodle / Live Classroom integration. We've recently started using this for training and client support at HowToMoodle. Any (rough) indications on release dates?

Ray
In reply to Matt Wasowski

by Sean S -
Matt,
This is great news. I haven't dropped by the forums in a few weeks and this thread was on top. Thanks for the info and I look forward to the final product.