General help

Best way to clean out database and start over

Picture of Jez H
Re: Best way to clean out database and start over
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

A couple of things I would alter:

1: Moving the folder will work on most hosts, but "cloud" hosts may bork if you do this as they use pointers to remote storage. If you are unsure it may be better to copy that directory, then clear down the one you have, as opposed to moving it and re-creating it.

5: I would pull themes over one at a time not overwrite the entire directory

6: Same as above

I would also check to see if there are later versions of your plugins, though Moodle will tell you this anyway

8: If you install moodle back in the same folder then cron will still be setup correctly, you should not need to do anything

10: This FireFox plugin allows you to do a screen grab of the entire browser page, even if it scrolls right down below your window: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fireshot/ it may be worth using that to grab screenies of your settings before you upgrade, that way you will have a reference of how to put them back.

Hope that helps

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ron Raney

Great ideas. I really appreciate you taking time out to help. Thank you.

The upgrade/reinstall that I did went well, but I think I forgot to uncheck the user options on the course backup/restore. The old users are in my new database. It's fine, eventually I have to do this again. This is just a dress rehearsal for me.

Picture of Ron Raney

There seems to be an added step inside the database when installing Moodle on a hosted server. Inside your MySQL database, apparently you need to specify the collation that you want to use. In PhpMyAdmin, it's under the Operations tab. Under Collation, most people should select utf8_unicode_ci which is near the bottom. I thought I would mention this to see if it's accurate, and for just in case people are using this to help them install/migrate Moodle.