Thinking about permissions for editing grades

Thinking about permissions for editing grades

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

We have a situation at the OU which makes us think we would like to separate out the moodle/grade:edit edit capabilty into two separate ones:

1. A less powerful capability, that only lets you edit grades that are not computed from other things. So, you could edit the value in a custom grade-item column (providing that column is not a calculation based on other columns) but you could not override the value of a quiz grade, or a calculation or a category total.
  2. A capability like the current one. If you have this cababiliity you can edit any grade, including the ones that Moodle has calculated.

This is just an initial forum post to find out if we are mad or peculiar, or is this something that other poeple would find useful should we implement it?

Providing people aren't too negative, I will work up a full proposal in due course.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Thinking about permissions for editing grades

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Tim, I would be interested in that functionality.

In practice, for example, a quiz that included both automatically calculated questions (MCQ) and essays (not computed) would the limited grader role be allowed to update the essay scores only?

In reply to Joseph Thibault

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Note, this post is about the gradebook, and editing grades there.

Grades within activities, like the grade for one essay question in the quiz, will continue to be controlled by the capabilities for that activity (e.g. mod/quiz:grade).

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Elena Ivanova -

This is stretching, I know..

It might be nice to have the capability to grade/not grade in the gradebook by column (grade item).

We can already make users (e.g Teaching Assistants) to be responsible for grading just one activity in a course.
So why not to grant them individual column control?

It's a broader scope, but more flexible at the end.

In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Tim Hunt -

I think the only way to do that is to create a separate offline assignment for those activities. To assign permissions you need a context, and an activity gives you a context, but grade item on its own does not. (All custom grade columns belong to the course context.)

However, all is not lost. For simplicity I skipped over one part of what I was thinking of doing.

Some activities (chiefly assignment) has a single teacher-awarded grade, that directly corresponds to the grade in the gradebook. (Unlike quiz, where separate per-question manual grades are combined, or Forum where posts are rated, then the ratings combine.) For those activities where the grade directly corresponds to the gradebook grades, we would allow those grades to be edited in the gradebook based on exactly the same permission check that is done in the activity.

I think that would satisfy your requirement smile