Input Truncation in HTML Editor

Input Truncation in HTML Editor

by Jacob Williams -
Number of replies: 3
There are several characters which are causing the input to be truncated in my html editors. I have been trying to track down the cause for the last few days.

When I enter certain characters/combinations into the html editor in wysiwyg mode and then submit, all input after the problem characters is truncated. The easiest combination of characters is consecutive spaces. 2 or more consecutive spaces will cause the problem. Also some special characters from word like smart quotes but I haven't done a complete inventory on which characters do it.
This problem occurs in any html editor on the site, not just particluar ones. However, on the scorm edit page, it seems odd that I can see the full input in the source on the second page within the hidden input tags.

The problem occurs on a Windows 2003/IIS box with MySQL 4.1 and PHP 4.3.11. Was running 1.4.4+. I have also tried 1.4.5+ and last nights 1.5.

I have another Moodle installation on a lInux box running and older 1.5 build that does not show the same problem. It is also running Mysql 4 and PHP 4.3.6. I am going to see if I can isolate the database difference from the OS, but my current situation makes that difficult. Are there any Database settings that could cause this?

If the problem I am having happened on this server, this line would not appear because of the two spaces on the preceding line.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jacob Williams

Re: Input Truncation in HTML Editor

by Jacob Williams -
I tried using easy php and the editor works fine. I need to run it under IIS though, so its not a solution for me.

I'll try using the easyphp install through IIS if I can get that to work.
In reply to Jacob Williams

Re: Input Truncation in HTML Editor

by Jacob Williams -
OK. So it was the character set. Somehow that one database server got set to Unicode. Once I set it to Latin1 it is fine.