SCORM

Picture of Mignonne Davis
Scorm never saves

We try to add a scorm in topic format course and the zipped file uploads just fine but when you hit save (either one of the save options) it spins around forever.  Weird thing is - it works just fine in 2.3.1.  Doesn't work in brand new just downloaded 2.5 or 2.4.3.  It's the same thing every time - upload works, then just spins when you try to save.  Tried endless combinations of settings, then gave up, found an old copy of 2.3. and rebuilt the site, changed NOTHING and it worked like a dream.  I've seen not a single report of this anywhere else.  The file isn't particularly big - about 50M.  It's created with Articulate which we've been using with 100% success for many years. 

Average of ratings: -
Walking on the snow towards Lago Nero...
Re: Scorm never saves
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Mignonne,
you should enable debugging at DEVELOPER level to see what is the real error that prevents you from publishing that package.
Please, try to use the last available 2.5 (2.5.2+).

HTH,
Matteo

I was indeed using the latest 2.5 (2.5.2).  OK, since I had to downgrade to 2.3.1 to make this work, I'll have to build a separate new site with 2.5.2 and put debugging back on to see what the errors are.  Will report back as soon as I can do that. 

OK, i enabled debugging in developer mode but since it never times out (it just spins forever trying to save) there is no error output. I am amazed we are the only ones with this issue.  I guess I'll try slowly backing out scorm changes between the version that works and the earliest version that does not.  Will update this if and when i find the culprit.

Walking on the snow towards Lago Nero...
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Mignonne,
you could also search for client-side errors by looking at the JavaScript console of your browser by pressing <F12>.

Have you already tried to access the web server log files too? It could be possible that a related entry could be find in the "error log".

Besides, if possible, please test it using the Moodle "standard" theme to isolate potential issues with your custom theme, if any.

Matteo

We are still experiencing this issue.  The only error we ever get in debug is :

PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in /home/virtual/site15/fst/var/www/html/lib/filestorage/zip_archive.php on line 247, referer: http://namechangedhere.org/course/modedit.php?add=scorm&type=&course=2&section=4&return=0&sr=0

But I can modify the php.ini to be any maximum or unlimited and it makes no difference.

There is no error in javascript.

Also, this was tested in the very latest 2.6.  This stopped working after 2.3 sometime.  I've tested 2.4,2.5 and 2.6 and works in none but just fine in 2.3.  

Quite a few changes in files related to archive and zip, etc. so not easy to try to figure out what's broken. Any clues appreciated.

Picture of Edgar Garcia

Hi Mignonne,

I too experienced this issue a while back.  I found this article to be of great value in resolving this issue:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=119194

Basically you want to verify file size limitations and timeout values in the PHP.ini file meet your network requirements:

• upload_max_filesize
  • post_max_size
  • max_execution_time
  • max_input_time

Also check any server/network -side restrictions outside of Moodle that may be inhibiting you from uploading "larger" files.  I've attached the two files below, page 1 & pages 2-3 (note that given the size limitations of this site, the quality of the documents will be poor..... lol)

Picture of Hugh Edwards

Hi Mignonne, 

Further to Edgars post, if you're on a hosted server, as your hosting company about updating the user.ini file, which is the user equivalent of the php.ini which in a lot of hosted environments can't be edited. 

Hugh. 

Picture of Edgar Garcia

Yes, thanks for the clarification Hugh.  Yes

My post was referring to managing your own Moodle server (rather than a hosted solution).

We have our own server, but the php.ini isn't the issue - I know that because if I just replace the Moodle install with 2.3 (instead of 2.5 or 2.6) it works fine.  So, it can't be the max upload size or any of those settings.

Also, i did look at the link you suggested.  One thing that maybe has changed over time, I cannot see in "system->system paths" any reference to path for zip and unzip. I guess this has been removed? 

Picture of Edgar Garcia

Sorry Mignonne, I should have specified further - try changing the php.ini values for:

• max_execution_time = 120
  • max_input_time = 120

** Or try 240 if you still have issues.

These were the two values that specifically fixed my issue, and according to the error message you posted (Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded), I am fairly confident this should work for you as well.

Wow, that worked!  I can't quite say it makes sense - why did the old settings (60) work with 2.3?  Why did setting it to 0 (infinite time) not work?  Oh well, as long as it works, I guess I don't care.  I'm SOOOO happy this is solved, thank you so much!!!!

Picture of Edgar Garcia

Your welcome Mignonne, all thanks to open-source collaboration is all !  I was in the same boat as you a few weeks back and thought it had to do with a size setting somewhere as well.  Obviously I was barking up the wrong tree, and was just as relieved as you when I got it to work.

Picture of Dan Marsden
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

The built-in Zip handling in PHP is supposed to be better so Moodle removed the ability to use binaries for zip - one of our team wrote a local plugin to allow the use of a binary as we've found the binaries perform a lot better than the built in PHP support - you can get the plugin here:

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=local_externalzip

...or you could increase the timeout values as suggested above.

that worked!  Why it needs more time in 2.4 and 2.5 I don't understand but I sure do greatly appreciate the help!  Was chasing that one on and off for months!  thanks agian.

Picture of Edgar Garcia

Mignonne,

FYI, after updating to the latest Moodle 2.6.1 version 2013111801.05, I noticed a prompt asking to upgrade the server's PHP version.  I was previously running 5.3.5, which was ok, but was recommended to have 5.5+ if we were running Moodle 2.6+ (see the following links):

I am in the process of installing now and have not run into any issues, but I was thinking this may ACTUALLY be the SOLUTION (rather than fiddling with the php.ini file), if you would like to give this a try as well.  Apparently this PHP update resolves many issues experienced with previous versions.