Moodle Candy

Moodle Candy

by Art Lader -
Number of replies: 11

Okay, I just spoke to my principal about next year... My students and I will be selling candy in September to raise money to fund our account at Moodle.com. That's how tight money is around here. Sigh...

Well, I always thought that Moodle was sweet, but this is ridiculous. wink

-- Art

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Art Lader

Re: Moodle Candy

by Andy Diament -
Unbelievable, Art!

Having said that, we've only moved moodle forward by using redundant servers.....

I've got this postcard on the wall of my lab by an artist called Kate Charlesworth, which makes people think.

'It would be nice if hospitals and schools had all the money they needed... & the army had to hold jumble sales to buy guns'

Hope appropriate funding can be found,

Andy D
In reply to Andy Diament

by Art Lader -

Well, money is very, very tight here and we are not the only ones who will have to find some. It actually should not be difficult to raise enough funds if a couple of teachers help me. And that's almost a sure thing.

But I did want to make the Moodle is sweet pun.

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sad that the school can't afford 30 cents per student per year for a whole online learning environment! sad
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Art Lader -

Well, we have a problem around here: Everyone wants the services that the government provides, but no one wants to pay any taxes. What is really galling, though, is that Aiken is NOT a poor community. We are, however, a retirement  haven and I guess that means that many senior citizens do not want to pay taxes to support the schools. That's what i have been told, at least.

I have already had three teachers tell me they will help me get the money together, so i don't think it will be a problem. But it will certainly be a pain in the neck.

What can you do? We'll just keep moodlin' along and wait for this foolishness to pass.

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Don Quixote -
Art,

you may want to compare the prices of some stuff like pencils here

some stuff
some other stuff

to realize that there is really no need to sell candies for having an LMS at your school...

Aitken High School seems to have 1600 students, so they can definitely afford to have an advanced LMS like Moodle. Each student will only have to pay per year a fraction of the lowest price of a pencil.

So, why selling candies???? Sorry for saying this, but this is really weird.

If students, parents or teachers don't see that Moodle offers a bit (wink) more than a pencil, then, well... it has always been the clever who had some advantages in live...

As you can see, cleverness isn't always something that is economically restricted. Neither is it a social problem, a problem of education or fiscal policy.

Best Regards
Andreas

In reply to Don Quixote

by Art Lader -

Dear Andreas,

Of course you are right; AHS can easily afford Moodle. It's a matter of priorities. The bottom line, though, is that we will likely have to raise some money. I don't like it, but okay, that is just one more thing I wish were different about our system.

Since I am a lowly classrroom teacher (very, very low on the food chain, somewhere beneath plankton), I will just have to deal with this. I have been teaching since 1979 and have gotten used to it.

By the way, I don't think our system is terrible, there are just some things I wish we would do differently.

One way or another, I can and will find the money to stay at Moodle.com. In the end, it probably won't be a big deal. Just a pain in the neck. And we may not have to sell candy or pencils or anything. The maney for Moodle may just reappear. That kind of thing happens quite often. We'll see.

On the other hand, there seems to be some real resistance to Moodle and all open source software at the district office, and that is becoming very ominous, indeed. And THAT is starting to keep me awake at night. I do not have anything against Blackboard, WebCT, etc., but do NOT want Moodle to become verboten around here.

Just another day in HappyLand. smile

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Don Quixote -
Hmm, btw, I didn't mean that you should sell pencils instead of candies to raise money... wink

Parents are expected to pay a few $ for pencils and stuff like this for their kids. So why can't they pay a fraction of the price of a pencil for having an advanced LMS which really can't be compared with a pencil.

Is an LMS that useless in your school? Is this tool to improve the kids' skills not worth a few bucks per year? Not even worth half of a pencil?

That's why I say it's not about education/tax/social policy or the "state of the society". And you can't even blame your president for this...

I just think that problems are not always due to "bad politics", or some evil guys "out there".

Hope you don't mind my answer.

In reply to Don Quixote

by Art Lader -
Actually, our district is almost certainly going to pay for an LMS; it just won't be Moodle. Sigh... I am pretty sure that we can keep using Moodle, though. We will just have to make sure that our principals insist that we are not denied access to our own web sites. If we really believe that Moodle is worth fighting for, we will Onward Moodle soldiers!

(And I blame our president for so many things that I can no longer keep track.)

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Don Quixote -
Ah, okay, I see.

This is how evaluation processes happen. You shouldn't take this personal.

I have been involved in quite some evaluation processes in the past, sometimes I liked the decisions, sometimes I didn't. If you look at all the choices around, pros and cons, opinions and views, ...
In reply to Art Lader

by Ray Jr -

Hello Art,

I'm sorry to hear that there is so much resistance to Moodle in your school district. It sounds like you need a Moodle advocate to talk to the "decision makers" in your district and prevent them from making a big mistake by going with another LMS (have Martin Dougiamas talk to them directly).

Call other schools in the US to see who else is adopting Moodle and if there is a substantial amount, present these numbers to your school district as part of the justification for keeping Moodle. The impression I get from the Moodle community (please let me know if I'm wrong about this) is that the Moodle adoption rate is starting to accelerate and it would be sad sad to see your school district left behind.

Moodle is more than just another LMS, it is also a wonderful community that is working (I'm not sure you can say this about all open source communities). This is mostly due to the great leadership of Martin Dougiamas.

I believe Moodle (with the help of the Moodle community) is well on the way to becoming the premier virtual learning environment in the world. 

Best regards,

Ray

In reply to Art Lader

by N Hansen -
I can feel your frustration Art...Part of my decision to start my business, which in turn has been made possible by the existence of Moodle, was due partially to my personal frustration of working for others and seeing them make what I considered to be technological and/or financial errors (e.g. letting free money that would have funded cool technological work slip through their fingers) that were fully preventable, and partially because there aren't institutions interested in doing what I am doing, even though there is a market for it.