EasyPHP not installed properly

EasyPHP not installed properly

by Scott Smith -
Number of replies: 9

I ran the EasyPHP install, but after step 6 there was no E in the toolbar.  I copied the English files over the original.  I ran Programs | EasyPHP 1.7 | EasyPHP, which put a black E in the tray with a red dot in the lower right corner and the following message on the screen in a window entitled Apache:

Le serveur n'a pas pu se lancer; un autre serveur utilise le port requis.

My French is weak - I thought the English files would include English error messages. I'm not even sure what the message is telling me. 

What can I do from here?

Thanks,

-Scott

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Smith

Re: EasyPHP not installed properly

by Norbert Berger -
Dear Scott

It means another webserver is running on you machine and uses the same port (80) that Apache is trying to use. So it cannot launch its service.
What operating system are you running? Could it be you have Internet Information Server running? Or have you experimented with other webser software?
With that information, I could advise on how to switch off that software and get EasyPhP going

Hope this helps

Norbert
In reply to Norbert Berger

by Scott Smith -

Windows 2000 Server.  Yes, IIS is running:  Default Web Site, Administration Web Site, Default SMTP Virtual Server.  Should I turn them all off?

Thanks,

Scott

In reply to Scott Smith

by Norbert Berger -
Yes, please switch off IIS. Then Apache will work.

Make sure you go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools and Services, and select IIS. Stop it first, and then set it to disabled rather than automatic start. Otherwise it will restart when you next reboot and cause the same problem.

Then set up EasyPhP and Apache.
Alternatively, you could set up Apache to use a different port: 8080 or 8000, which would then need to be used in the URL to access your Moodle site. Check the documentation for details.

Hope this helps

Norbert

In reply to Norbert Berger

by Norbert Berger -
Sorry about the sloppy typing. That should have been your machine and webserver software
In reply to Scott Smith

by Bob Boufford -

Scott,

As Norbert recognized, the issue is with IIS. If you need to keep IIS running, I would suggest changing it's default port, especially if you plan to use Moodle as your key web application.

Before you go too far down the road with EasyPHP, I would recommend looking at XAMPP from Apache Friends (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html) . It is well maintained and contains other components such as FTP to make management of Moodle much easier.  Only takes a few extra steps to setup XAMPP as Windows services.

Cheers,

Bob

In reply to Bob Boufford

by Scott Smith -

I disabled IIS and the installation program ran, somewhat, with PAGE NOT FOUND errors after the SAVE CHANGES page and before setting up the "top-level administrative user".  Now I can't even get into http://localhost/admin.

Would XAMPP replace EasyPHP or run concurrently?

Thanks,

-Scott

In reply to Scott Smith

by Norbert Berger -
Dear Scott

I have not tried XAMPP as I have managed to get EasyPhP to work on a couple of machines. In case somethign goes wrong, just uninstal it by first stopping all the services (either from the E console you call up from the blinking E on your Taskbar, or by going to Services in your control panel - administration. Then uninstal the software, delete all the folders and start again.

Do this even if you decide to give XAMPP a try. You might not want leftovers from installations that have gone awry.

Hope this helps

Norbert
In reply to Scott Smith

by Scott Smith -

Bob, if I try XAMPP, where does it hook into the install instructions in install.html and installamp.html?

Thanks,

-Scott

In reply to Scott Smith

by John Gone -
A number of Moodlers have contributed packages here to make it easy to run a Moodle on USB, CD etc. but the one I've used a few times is located here:
http://cent.uji.es/moodlemoot/files/Moodle4Windows.zip
This XAMPP package does it all for you. It's as easy as it gets... this was packaged and contributed by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7), a regular at this site.

It uses an old version of Moodle but this is easily upgraded to a new version by following these instructions:
http://moodle.org/doc/?frame=upgrade.html