General help

Picture of Axel Kammerer
EMAIL LOG

Is there a way to log the croncobs output to a file?
Is there a way to log email activity of the system?
Is there a way to get a CC of every mail sent out by moodle ?

Let me describe my problem:

Our moodle system is configured to send out message to the users whenever a new item is added to the course (standard digest function).  Every time a handful of users say, that they never got the email - and there is no way to prove that the system sent out the mail.

My question:

Is there a log kept on the moodle side that would have the info of emails sent out by moodle ?

I also tried to log the cronjob output to a file via:  &>> /htdocs/cron.log but that just leads to:

cron.log:

Content-type: text/html
No input file specified.

How do I write the cronjobs activity to a logfile?

We can not go through humongous SMTP Log files; we need a handy solution.

A not so nice but possible solution would be to get a CC of every mail sent out by moodle. How can I accomplish that?

This is a big problem for us and I would really appreciate any help!!!

Sincerely,
Axel

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Axel Kammerer
Re: EMAIL LOG

Come on guys (and girls) when you google this topic (and problem) you find all kinds of people with the same problem but not even one answer to it sad

Axel

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hallo Axel

Your questions have nothing to do with Moodle, they are basic Unix system administration. Check the documentation of your Linux distribution or get a good book. Ask for Plötner and Wendzel, for example.

Of course you can "google". But if the Oracle says no, what could you do? No human is above the Oracle!
sad

Picture of Axel Kammerer

Well I think it does. Almost all programms / scripts that we use and that are in any way conneted to the internet keep a log of what they send out and to whom. Moodle does not, but it should.

Axel

Gmads
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Axel,

It is as Visvanath said.

Is there a way to log the croncobs output to a file?

Sure, there is. You would need to check the manual of the program used. For example, if you are using wget, you would use option -o. Anyway, you don't even mention what program are you using; what is one to "advice" then?

Is there a way to log email activity of the system?

Idem. Anyway, "humongous" is the very definition of a log file. Handy solution regarding log files? Grep, Sed or Awk them.

Is there a way to get a CC of every mail sent out by moodle?

You could use a forward address, or try with jmail:

http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Block_jmail https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=block_jmail

Picture of Andreas Panagiotopoulos
Απάντηση: EMAIL LOG

Hello Axel,

-- you can log the cron with a simple (linux) command like this:

php /var/www/html/moodle/admin/cli/cron.php >> /var/log/cron.log

-- You can see cc all emails sent from moodle if you look at the posting here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=154521

Regards,

Andreas

Gmads
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

That's a post from 2010 so I wouldn't expect much of a solution from there, specially since there they were dealing with Moodle 1.9.

Picture of Andreas Panagiotopoulos
Απάντηση: Re: EMAIL LOG

That's solution works at moodle 2x as well - beleive me! I have tested, that's why I wrote the solution here.

And, with this way, you can filter cc'ed emails conserning the subject.

You can tell, if subject contains "xxxx", then cc all emails to xxxx@email.com.

if subject contains "zzzz", then cc all emails to zzzz@email.com.

Regards,

Andreas

Picture of Axel Kammerer

Okay

- cronlogging works now
- I don't want to mess with the sourcecode so I will wait for the maillogging function in moodle itself
- I will try to give the jmail plugin a try.

Thanxs for all the answers.

Axel