Activated caching (memcached) produces segmentation faults

Activated caching (memcached) produces segmentation faults

by franz reitinger -
Number of replies: 4

Hi!

We are running the latest available version of Moodle (maintained by git) on  Ubuntu 12.04 and php 5.4.9. Due to performance troubles I tried make use of the caching system by installing memcached.  Once installed  I created a memcached cache store instance within the Moodle administration interface and added "Configuration Setting" (6th point) for caching.  Since that time I cannot open this administration interface because PhP/Apache crashes and I only can find the segfault error message in the error file of Apache's log system (" child pid 2818 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)") .

How can I disable this point within Mysql because the GUI-interface is no longer useful. However I want to use the caching system - but it should work. Perhaps somebody has an idea how to solve this unpleasant  "caching feature"?

ThanX

/franzR

Average of ratings: -
In reply to franz reitinger

Re: Activated caching (memcached) produces segmentation faults

by Matteo Ricci -

Hi everybody,
we have the same problem,
VM ubuntu 12.04 with php 5.3.10
Memcached versione 1.4.13

Memcached works fine because Moodle detects the plugin memcached
and the testperformanche shows the result of memcached operation in the report
We can create an istance of memcached in the cache configuration but we can't mapping anything (same segmentation fault core/dump in apache2)

And there isn't the possibility to set the session in a memcached store in config settings so we try to set it directly in php.ini
but when system starts it stores the session in moodledata/session folder

Is there any particular settings to do ?
Thanks in advance

In reply to franz reitinger

by Adam Durana -

When I run into a problem with cache configuration that leaves a Moodle site unusable, I remove the MUC config.php file.  You can find this file in the site's Moodle data directory at 'muc/config.php'.  If you move or delete this file, it will be recreated using default settings.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Adam Durana

by franz reitinger -

ThanX,

Moodle is now working again & we can close this thread.

/franzR

In reply to Adam Durana

by Matteo Ricci -

Yes is a solution to restore the original settings.

I've tried with the latest stable version of memcached (1.4.15 ) from source without the apt package and works fine