Windows 2003, php 4.3.11 and Mysql 4.1 install problem

Windows 2003, php 4.3.11 and Mysql 4.1 install problem

by Les Anderson -
Number of replies: 4
I've been struggling for over a week with this now and was hoping I might be able to glean some help from you knowledgable folks. I've attached the test.php page for your perusal.

The problem arises during the creation of the config.php file. Now I've seen many of the threads but haven't found anything that works for me yet and I just keep getting the same error that moodle cannot connect to the database specified.

Any help at this stage will be greatly recieved.

Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Les Anderson

Re: Windows 2003, php 4.3.11 and Mysql 4.1 install problem

by Les Anderson -
Just to add that the problem was sorted almost as soon as I posted the above the message. It was the old Mysql password algorithm problem that's referred to in various posts about the site.

Solution was found here
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/old-client.html

using the following command:

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR
-> 'some_user'@'some_host' = OLD_PASSWORD('newpwd');
In reply to Les Anderson

by raju malav -
hi..
if you are using windows XP please use xampp for windows..this is a complete package available on net.u just download it and install it and run ur moodle normally.no need to configure then config.php.ok
gfind the link given below..
http://www.goohio.com/moodle/Moodle1.4andEasyPHP.exe
just download it and install it like normally software..and koool down..
best of luck..
regards
raju
In reply to raju malav

by Les Anderson -
Hi Raju,
have tried using xampp for linux but found the directions hard to follow. Mainly because xampp puts all the files in it's own structure. Following tutorials was, I found, almost impossible without a fair amount of prior linux knowledge. Something I lack at the minute.

As this is my first install on windows (I'm sure I'll be asked to do it again wink) I will definetly give it a try next time.

By the way, I'm using Windows 2003 server, not XP.
In reply to Les Anderson

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

- XAMPP also installs Apache - Les is using IIS/Win2k3 instead (I think). I plan to do some form of analysis in the next month or so comparing Apache to IIS on a Win2k3 box - I'll post my findings in the server forums later this year.....
I would suggest XAMP for anyone who is running a basic small install, for a small number of users, however I have a gut feeling that IIS is a better solution on a win2k3 box for critical higher use situations(caveat: where windows is the only available option)

smile

Dan