Only discovered Moodle recently and have made my first installation.
The site/app teaches a foreign language and is structured as follows:
1. 6 levels from Beginner to Advanced
2. Each level divided into units.
A typical unit might be:
* Grammar explanation with examples, possibly 3-400 words of text.
* 3-4 grammar quizzes testing the grammar explained in the grammar explanation.
* Another 5-6 quizzes of reading, vocabulary, listening, mostly with, again, a common grammar theme, meaning the whole unit has a unified theme.
My idea for moodle is to replicate this level/unit structure but I'm unsure how to do this and also how to best exploit what Moodle has to offer.
From my first look-see at Moodle, my thought were:
1. Each "unit" of my site/app would be a course in Moodle.
2. The quizzes (mostly cloze, m/choice, matching) I can handle easily enough, I have them in text/excel format and will import.
3. How would I reproduce the grammar explanation part? Would that be a wiki per course? Or a book? Or is there a simpler "page" I can use?
4. I don't want these courses to be date restricted. Users would create an account, perhaps do a level test and then enrol in the course nearest their level and then move on when their grades are at a certain level. How could I do that in Moodle?
5. I'd perhaps like a forum per course or at least per level? How could I do that?
6. And finally, I'd like a site-wide blog. It seems that everything has to be attached to courses so is it easy enough to have overarching blogs, forums, wikis?
Sorry for really 'noob' questions but try and remember the first time you installed Moodle and were thinking "erm, what??"
I'm used to big scary software applications (wordpress, drupal, joomla) so the tech side doesn't really concern me, but I'm just struggling to get my head around the ORGANISATIONAL aspect of it.
Many thanks for any tips/pointers that anyone can give me.