Quiz related questions

Quiz related questions

by Katie Hatt -
Number of replies: 6

Hi, 

My name is Katie Hatt and this is my second school year using Moodle for online teaching. I have a few questions/suggestions...

When creating questions for a quiz, I've noticed the toggle spell checker in the question text and answer boxes doesn't catch spelling errors. Am I misusing this function? If misspellings are underlined in the messaging boxes, I don't understand why it can't function the same way when creating quiz questions. 

My next question- when using the "order and paging" tab in quiz creation, can a person use the "move" function that enables you to drag the question to a spot where you want it rather than only using up and down arrows and making a move one page at a time? The process of rearranging the questions is quite tedious and despite the fact that I create the questions in the order that I want to use them, Moodle displays them in order of question type.... 

Does anyone have any information or tips that may be helpful?? Thank you! 

One last comment from my Moodle wish list- I wish that question building for quiz/test questions was a much quicker process with less steps!! I've been shown other programs for building an online quiz/test, one off the top of my head is Google forms, and it is much faster. Any improvements to the speed and number of steps in question building or quiz building in general, would be greatly appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Katie Hatt

Re: Quiz related questions

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Kate, you may be amused to know that in another thread today I selected the quiz builder interface as one of the good areas of interface design in Moodle.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=239414

I agree that dragging the questions would be nicer than the current up down option and it is in the item tracker as

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-30032

In reply to Marcus Green

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I was surprised to see the UI praised, because that is not what most people say wink. However we are planning to work on it, and a more relevant issue number is MDL-40987. We are looking for feedback on the proposed UI: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=231180#p1040349

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Kate, if you click on Tims name you will see he is maintainer of the Quiz module so you are getting it from the equine mouth.

My experience of quiz building was burned many years ago with another tool of which I shall not name where the conversation goes

Me:

"I'd like to re-use my quiz questions"

Support:

"did you put them in a pool"

Me:

"No, I put them in a quiz"

Support:

"You can only re-use them if you put them in a pool first and then put them in a quiz"

Me:

"I shall go and find a pool to jump into"

In reply to Marcus Green

by Katie Hatt -

Marcus, 

That is very interesting... What specifically do you like about the quiz building interface? Now I'm a nurse by trade so you'll have to put this in layman's terms. LMS, and technology in general, are areas I am recently getting acquainted with.

In reply to Katie Hatt

by Marcus Green -

Kate we need the opinions of non geeks for this type of thing.

I like the way it allows the manipulation of categories and the selection of questions in categories and sub categories. One thing I don't like is that I cannot tell from the question bank if a question has been used before. In fact I don't like it so much that I created a hack so I have another column that displays a count of the number of times a question has been used, as in the screen shot. (A horrible hack that will get overwritten on the next upgrade if I forget to copy it first and it probably doesn't work properly with random questions which fortunatley I don't use)

I like the way you can edit or preview a question from either the quiz central panel of questions in the quiz or from the question bank