Poodll plugins

Poodll plugins

by Jedidiah Rex -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. If not, please let me know.

I would like to give faculty the ability to give and receive audio for feedback and assignment from within Moodle. We are running 2.5.2 (and plan to upgrade to 2.5.2 in a few weeks).

Has anyone used any of these: https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=set&id=13

I am particularly interested in these for recording audio:

Does anyone have any experience with these? Is there another you would recommend over these?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jedidiah Rex

Re: Poodll plugins

by Jez H -

Hi Jedidiah,

Yes we actually funded development of the voice feedback plugin:

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=assignfeedback_poodll

Older recorders for Moodle tended to use Java, since Java suffered security issues it has become a nightmare.

Poodll uses flash / html 5 which works a lot better and works on ipads / iphones. One caveat is that my ipad chooses to upload video MP4 when recording "voice" but that is down to the device not Poodll.

Its not perfect, there area  few things that could be polished and improved, and I am sure over time that will happen, but overall they are a well thought out set of plugins.

The look and feel of the players is more geared toward a school than say a Univeristy or corporate use, but you can swap these out if you need to.

One of the best things is that it is highly configurable, for example we had an issue with the gain in the flash recorder, there is an admin setting to control that so you can tweak your recorder for the best results.

We found the local recording in Flash did not work well and sometimes lost recordings, it is much better to use the Red5 server. We still use Poodll Tokyo Red5 which Justin makes freely available but he also provides his java app and instructions for setting up your own Red5 server which we will do at some point.

Poodll was the only option I found for what we wanted, which is why we chose to fund extension of those plugins.

On a side note I think a "Poodll Anywhere" feature will be added in the not to distant future which would add a recorder icon directly in TinyMCE allowing you to add audio with a single click from the text editor, that would allow things like threaded voice boards using Moodles standard forums.

One thing I would add is that we are using Moodle 2.4.5, I have not tested this on 2.5 but guess Justin has.

So, yes I would recommend them and no there is nothing else I would recommend over them, and I spent a lot of time looking!

Regards, Jez

In reply to Jedidiah Rex

Re: Poodll plugins

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Jedidiah,

I use everyone of the PoodLL plugins and can say that they all work in Moodle 2.5.2+. With them installed I can add audio or video anywhere I have the TinyMCE editor window. The lead developer, Justin Hunt, has always been very responsive and helpful every time I have needed help.

Like Jez H mentions, I have spent a lot of time looking for something to record into Moodle with and I have dropped all the others in favor of PoodLL. A recorder icon directly in the TinyMCE editor is the only "piece of the puzzle" needed to make it work seamlessly just about anywhere in Moodle. 

If you would like, send me a private message and I can give you access to my current development box where you can see and try it out.

AL