How to login to Moodle using SSO of WindowsACS

How to login to Moodle using SSO of WindowsACS

by Tim van Steenbergen -
Number of replies: 1

Hi all,

I got stuck on implementing single-sign-on (SSO) for Moodle for a client that uses Windows ACS (Access Control Service). Any ideas how we can implement this?

I tried the SAML add-on (including simpleSAMLphp) but got stuck, because Windows ACS only returns a SAML-token, but does not use the SAML-protocol. Is there a way around that? Wrap that token in SAML-protocol somehow?

Or is there another SSO-plugin that does communicate with ACS? I found none, but maybe overlooked one?

Best regards,
Tim van Steenbergen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim van Steenbergen

Re: How to login to Moodle using SSO of WindowsACS

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

If you can get the server into the AD domain the users login to with their PCs, follow the advice here:

http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/NTLM_authentication

We have moved to AD for desktops during the course of this year, so later in the year we will look at moving our moodle server into AD so when users have signed in to a college PC they can just click the moodle icon and it will pickup their windows login session.

Currently we use LDAP from the old (eDirectory, ugh) system to authenticate users, but when we move moodle to AD we'll have it authneticate against AD (via LDAP) when there is no NTLM session found.

HTH