Navigation Block Confusion

Navigation Block Confusion

by Doug Moody -
Number of replies: 5

Moodle 2.5.1

I am VERY confused. Please help me understand!

In am an admin for my moodle site, as well as the teacher. I have 230 students in 6 courses.

My dilemma is that I do NOT want students to be able to message each other, but I DO want them to use the "Message My Teacher" block, which I have installed.

However, on the navigation block, which occurs on every page, students have discovered the "messages" link under "My Profile" This is allowing them to message each other. I do not want this.

I have read and read posts in these forums and nothing seems definitive. One moodledocs says that I need to add a "Main Menu" block and I can then delete the link there. But that doesn't work. Another post has me messing with the theme code. That's a bit much.

So why is it so hard to turn off the link in the navigation block so students can't message each other, while still maintaining the ability to message the teacher? Some good, "how to" advice would be most appreciated, including perhaps the path on how to get to the parts of moodle I need to turn messages off.

Please help. It's driving me crazy!mixed

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Moody

Re: Navigation Block Confusion

by Bob Puffer -

Hey, Doug, think what you might be looking for is lib/navigation.lib around line 2185 in my version.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Doug Moody -

Bob,

What are you saying? Can you be more clear please?

In reply to Doug Moody

by Doug Moody -

Still need some help on this. Anyone? Please?thoughtful

In reply to Doug Moody

by Christian Herman -

I'm running 2.5.1 so the line numbers should match up for you.

Lines 2178-2185 look like they may add the messaging link in the Navigation block.  Try commenting-out this code and see what happens.

In reply to Doug Moody

by Bob Puffer -

Comment out the line mentioned in my post referring to 'messages' and you won't see 'Messages' show up in the Nav block.