Moodle 1.9 migrated site EXTREMELY SLOW

Moodle 1.9 migrated site EXTREMELY SLOW

by Doctor J.W. Müller -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

We are moving a bunch of Moodle sites to a new server. Mostly Moodle versions 2.3 and 2.4 but also two 1.9 sites.

All sites works like a charm after migration - Besides the 1.9 sites which are unbearably slow. All icons, pictures and most activities (forums etc) takes FOREVER to load. And I am not talking 40 seconds here I am talking MINUTES. The front page of the Moodle site took almost 10 MINUTES to load. Previous to migrating the site everything was real-time, not as much as a second delay.

Keep in mind Ive migrated 10 other Moodle websites (Moodle v 2.+) to the exact same server and none of them has had a slightest problem - it could be a coincidence ofc but it seems unlikely.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

SPECS

Old site:

Apache/2.2.15 (Unix)

MySQL 5.1.67

PHP Version 5.3.3

Linux 2.6.32-358.2.1.el6.x86_64

New Server:

Apache/2.2.15 (Unix)

MySQL 5.1.69

PHP Version 5.3.3

Linux pedserver.umdc.umu.se 2.6.32-358.11.1.el6.x86_64

New server has all moodle data folders on a nfs mount - again, no problems for the rest of the platforms.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doctor J.W. Müller

Re: Moodle 1.9 migrated site EXTREMELY SLOW

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Dear Dr. Müller

RHEL? Did you try disabling SELinux? (Just a wild guess.)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Doctor J.W. Müller -

Hi!, thanks for the idea. Indeed, we do run RHEL. I just tried disabling SELinux and running in permissive mode - but to no avail. So the problem is still a huge issue for us (lots of students and teachers working on these platforms).

However I realized that on one (actually on two) of the migrated 1.9 Moodle platforms they only go slow once you enter a course page -> images takes forever to load or times out (if you for example try and load an image URL directly they load instantly), a forum or similar and sends the platform into a super slow crawl.

In reply to Doctor J.W. Müller

by Adam Durana -

Can you try running one of the slow 1.9 sites with its Moodle data directory hosted on a local filesystem instead of NFS?