Manual grade item Grade Type set to 'None' calculation still calculated in gradebook

Manual grade item Grade Type set to 'None' calculation still calculated in gradebook

by James Henestofel -
Number of replies: 3

Moodle 2.4.4

An instructor today caused an issue where an incorrect calculation in a no grade item caused the gradebook Course Total to show 'Error'.  So even thought the Grade Item Type was set to 'None' it still used that incorrect calculation in the Course Total

Here is what the instructor did.

1. The instructor added a manual grade item. 
  2. Then entered a calculation dependent on other items. 
  3. The instructor then deleted those items in the calculation
  4. So then the calculation was incorrect and gave errors on both the item and course total
  5. The instructor then edited the grade item with a Grade Type of 'none'.  So this hid the item from the instructor and they could no longer edit the item or calculation.
  6. Because the item was hidden from the gradebook and the instructor couldn't fix it he couldn't fix the Course Total 'Error'.

To fix the issue I had to figure out the edit url for grade items and enter that 'No Grade' items id with the incorrect calculation and make it a 'Value' grade so it would show in the gradebook again.  I then had to fix the calculation or delete it to fix the Course Total 'Error'.

So I'm thinking there are a few ways to solve this issue.

1. If we are going to hide 'No Grade' types from the gradebook then they should not be included in any way into the gradebook calculation.
  2. When deleting items from the gradebook that are used in calculations it should automatically remove the item from the calculation or prompt the user to fix it before deleting.  I'm thinking the automatic removal because of the ability to delete assignments you don't want to have to go into the gradebook to fix a calculation first.
  3. Instead of hiding no grade items from the teachers view.  Figure out a way to designate it a 'No Grade' item so instructors can still modify it but it stays hidden from students.

Thoughts Please and then I'll probably make a tracker issue.

In reply to James Henestofel

Re: Manual grade item Grade Type set to 'None' calculation still calculated in gradebook

by James Henestofel -

so...

No one has any thoughts or has experienced this issue??

In reply to James Henestofel

Re: Manual grade item Grade Type set to 'None' calculation still calculated in gradebook

by Bob Puffer -

My thoughts are that Moodle does a lot of things people don't want and I think it unlikely anybody's going to take time to work on something that is so easily avoided -- why would you want a 'no grade' item in the gradebook?

In reply to Bob Puffer

by James Henestofel -

The teacher didn't mean to change it to no grade.  They were just trying to make it not show an error.  But when they did what I described above is what happened.

Why is there even an option to choose 'no grade'?