Do we need to be an IT Expert to install the plugins?

Do we need to be an IT Expert to install the plugins?

by Hira Thapa -
Number of replies: 4

I am new to MOODLE and installed MOODLE 2.5 recently. But there are some plugins that I have to 'add on'. But unfortunately, , I could not do so despite my desperate search for instructions in the forum as well as in the youtube. The problem I have, I think, is not understanding or not knowing how to do. I am looking for the site or discussion forum link which gives step-wise instructions for a novice. The first step problem for me is where and how to create the folder. Could anyone help out please if there is any link giving detailed instruction?

Here is what it says and could not doing despite the instruction:

1. Create folder /mod/attforblock.
  2. Extract files from folder inside archive (andreev-artem-moodle_mod_attforblock-xxxxxxx in your case) to created folder.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hira Thapa

Re: Do we need to be an IT Expert to install the plugins?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

THe folder has to be inserted in your moodle installation on your server.  However, in 2.5, you can now install plugins right through the web interface - just go Admin settings, plugins, install addons.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Hira Thapa -

When I try to install directly from the plugin directory, the following message is displayed. Then when I click 'Continue', no page is displayed:

There is a request to install add-on HotPot (mod_hotpot) version 2010080366 from the Moodle plugins directory on this site. If you continue, the add-on ZIP package will be downloaded for validation. Nothing will be installed yet.

Is the zip package downloaded in the moodle folder in the server?

Here is a screenshot of the panel. Your help is much appreciated. Thank you so much.

In reply to Hira Thapa

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, it is downloaded to the mod folder within your moodle install (public_html).  If you are getting blank page afterwards, something is wrong.  Permissions errors are normally picked up and displayed by the installer.  There is another screen that  normally shows before the actual download.  You could just download it and unzip directly to your mod folder, check permissions once downloaded and then go to your notifications page in the web interface and it should pick up the new folder and walk you through the install.

In reply to Hira Thapa

by Daniel Lombardo -

Yes, that sounds like a permissions problem. Does it say something like this:

Install add-ons from the Moodle Plugins directory

There is a request to install add-on Sitewide User report (gradereport_sitewideuser) version 2013092100 from the Moodle plugins directory on this site. However, the plugin type location /var/www/html/grade/report is not writable. You need to give write access for the web server user to the plugin type location, then press the continue button to repeat the check.

If so, do you have access to the SSH for your server? Otherwise contact your server/hosting service to change the file permissions on all the folders listed as plugin types on that Install add-ons page:

And yes, you can't be IT ignorant to deal with Moodle application files, you either need to learn about PHP/MySQL web applications for yourself or hire a Moodle Partner to take care of your installation. Don't despair, the moodle community is rich with helpful people and free resources.