Problem with Page History in dfwiki

Problem with Page History in dfwiki

by Pamela Giles -
Number of replies: 6
I am having some difficulty with the Page History in dfwiki alpha in Moodle 1.5 alpha.

Specifically, most of the time, History is not showing changes that are made. In "page differences," the Old and New page versions appear to be identical, even when revisions have been made.

If I add or delete a whole paragraph, that change will show up in differences. However, even several sentences added within an existing paragraph do not become differences. It almost seems like Preview is saving the page and using the Preview as the previous page, rather than the actual previous page.

Is this a bug, or is there a way to ensure that changes are recorded?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pamela Giles

Re: Problem with Page History in dfwiki

by Ferran Recio Calderó -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Pamela,

I'm one of the developers of dfwiki. Firstly, we want to thanks you for test dfwiki. It will be helpful if you can upload or attach an screenshot of the bug.

The historical diff in alpha version only compares with the current version, but may be this week we will be able to upload the new one wich can compare with any version.

Any diference in the diff window is marked with an icon separating the two versions:

• symbol '=' means that two paragraphs are equals.
  • symbol '-' means that there's some difference between the two paragraphs (sintax corrected or minor changes)
  • symbol '+' means that the newest version have completelly new paragraph
  • symbol 'X' means that one paragraph is deleted in the new version.

Please, send us some screenshot and we will work immediatelly in fix it.

Thanks,

Ferran Recio.

http://appserv.lsi.upc.es/palangana/moodle/course/view.php?id=15

In reply to Ferran Recio Calderó

by Pamela Giles -
Hi Ferran.

I'm boldly using dfwiki on a production site for a small graduate-level class, so I'm very eager to have it working properly. (The students are marked partly for their wiki contributions, so it will be much easier for us to grade them if we can see their changes in History.) We went with dfwiki because it seemed easier for the students to learn and we liked the mediawiki markup.

Attached is a (blurry) screenshot of what is happening. The text reads as follows:
nothing is in this window
now I will add stuff to the window
and now more stuff to it
Here is new material added. Will it show up as changed?

The last line (new material) should have a plus sign and be coloured in the History; as you can see in the screenshot below, it's all just grey and
"=."

The same thing happened to me when I posted on the Bugs page of your Crash Test Dfwiki, so I don't think it's just my Moodle that is the problem.

Also, how come the View tab vanishes when I go into "Differences" in History? The only way I can get back to View is to click on the page name from a side block.

Thanks!

Pamela
In reply to Pamela Giles

Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Pamela,

We're very pleased for your cooperation with dfwiki bug report. We're trying to make easier the historical functions. In Current version, to exit from historical mode you must click on 'History' tab. In response to your suggestion we decided to add a new tab called 'current' to return to view mode.

About the problem with differences we don't find exactly what do you mean, we think that you are comparing the current version with itself. We attach a (blurry wink) screen shot.

Otherwise, we see that this system could drive to mistakes so we decided to disable the current version link.

We're very interested in your opinions and ideas to improve dfwiki module.

Thanks again,

David Castro & Ferran Recio.

In reply to Ferran Recio Calderó

by Pamela Giles -
>About the problem with differences we don't find exactly what do you mean,
>we think that you are comparing the current version with itself.

Oh! I guess I was comparing the current version with itself.

History seems to work a bit differently in dfwiki than in Moodle wiki, which is I think what led me astray. In the Moodle wiki, the top History item shows the changes between the current version and the previous version. In dfwiki, the top History item shows, as I discovered, the differences between the current version and itself. Moodle wiki does not have any similar way to compare the current version with itself.

So, to see the changes in dfwiki, we have to go down to the next-to-top item (2nd most recent version) and look up the actual new changes.

Wonderful. This point is probably worth clarifying for people used to using Moodle wiki.

In reply to Pamela Giles

Hi again Pamela,

In response to you suggestions, we decided to add new features to aur dfwiki. All this changes will be incorporate in the next version (we wish finish in few days):

• Now you can compare any version with each other
  • The link to saw the current version as an old version (compare with itself...) is eliminated to avoid confusion.
  • Added a new tab in historical mode to return to current version.

Thank you againg for the suggestions and, please, continue giving us feedback. These are some screenshots (in spaniglish):