Creating a forum or course which is only visible to some users

Creating a forum or course which is only visible to some users

by Mrs. Omer -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

We need to create a common forum for teachers-only on home page. Is there any way to do that and put up its link on home page without making it visible to other users? as in, it should appear on teachers' home page and not on students' home page view. Ideally we are thinking of putting in more functionalities in that teachers-only section other than just forums, so I even tried creating a course page where teachers can share class material, resources, have discussion forums etc. I can make the course visible only to teachers by making it in an invisible category and only enrolling the teachers in it but I was wondering how to make it's link/shortcut appear as a Tab on main-page (on top menu or main-menu block) without making that tab/block visible to other users.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mrs. Omer

Re: Creating a forum or course which is only visible to some users

by Sakshi Goel -

Hi Mrs Omer

You can make a group at front page then add put some teachers in that group and add a group forum as a separate mode .For second question course - You can create a course and in its setting option availability select "This course is not available to students" then it is only available to teachers on home page not to students.

In reply to Sakshi Goel

Re: Creating a forum or course which is only visible to some users

by Susan Fleming -

You can also create a role in Site administration ► Users ► Permissions ► Define roles which gives users with that role special or restricted privileges.  If you assign the role to users at the course or activity level, it can be used to restrict access.