Learning standards: Can Moodle import IMS

Learning standards: Can Moodle import IMS

by John Bennett -
Number of replies: 4

Can Moodle 1.1 import IMS?

" Features planned for Moodle in future versions include: import and export of Moodle data using XML-based formats (including IMS and SCORM);"

I have been able to employ Moodle as a High School Intranet (with 400 clients). Its running well. The kids like it. The Northern Territory Department has proposed a question concerning IMS as they are promoting a product called Janisons. So the issue  is whether Moodle can import and export to the IMS standard so that learning resources can be shared between Moodle and Janisons.

If Moodle can't employ IMS is there a timeline to when it can? This should then ease my department experts.

Thanks John

thoughtful.gif

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Bennett

Re: Learning standards: Can Moodle import IMS

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi, John.

If you would care to donate the equivalent of one year's worth of license fees for Janison Toobox towards Moodle then I'm sure support for IMS frameworks might arrive a lot faster.

Cheers,
Martin
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by John Bennett -

Hi, Martin.

Concerning donating "one year's worth of license fees for Janison Toobox towards Moodle" - I would if I could.

I think Moodle is great. I also feel that having the constructivist educational theory as a platform for Moodle is fantastic. The other great feature to Moodle is having such an enthusiastic community.

After a nervous start I was able to get Moodle as our High School Intranet. It shall soon be our Extranet. Its just that a couple of the Education Department are pushing Janison Toobox. After demontrating Moodle to them IMS was raised.

I feel Moodle is successful and is more flexible than Janison Toobox.

Thanks for the hard work

In reply to John Bennett

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks John - re-reading my previous post it sounded pretty snappy - sorry. I left out some smilies. smile wink big grin