I am happy to present to the community a new block which creates a slideshow in the header of a site or course page. It uses jquery/cycle to handle the image transitions. Jquery is also used to manipulate the DOM to reposition the block's node into the heading div of the page.
Since this is dependent on using moodle's built in jquery functions, it is not available for versions prior to 2.5.
It works with all core Moodle Themes except "Clean" due to an issue with the theme's ability to load Jquery correctly (MDL-41516), however, as of Moodle 2.5.2, this issue is fixed and will work with Clean theme. If you are using 2.5 or 2.5.1, please apply the patch in MDL-41516 to have the slideshow work with Clean.
- Clean (version 2.5.2 only)
- Formal White
- Sky High
(it may work with some third party themes, but most likely not with any bootstrap based theme due to MDL-41516. If you have a third party theme and it doesn't work, post a link to your site and I will update the code.)
Download, extract, and upload the "Slideshow" folder into moodle/blocks
- Set maximum number of slides in a slideshow
- Set maximum file size of slides
- Title - Set title of slideshow (leave blank to hide block's heading)
- Height - Sets height of slideshow and images **NOTE** this block will not rescale image files, it will only change the display size
- Transition - Choose from various slide transitions (some are a bit clunky, but most work well)
- Delay - Sets the time for which a single slide is displayed
- Background color - Clicking in this textbox triggers a colorpicker
- Transparent - Clicking this overrides the background color setting and makes the background transparent
- Image selector - Will only accept gif, jpg, or png files
Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.