Students can´t add entries in spite of having permission

Students can´t add entries in spite of having permission

by Luis Vázquez de Lara -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I posted this problem a few days ago, but I haven´t received any feedback and I really need it. 

I created a database activity, but students can't add entries. I checked the permissions and everything seems to be ok, students are allowed to write entries. The tab "add entry" is not showed in students view. Students from last term could add antries in the same activity

Please help

Luis

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luis Vázquez de Lara

Re: Students can´t add entries in spite of having permission

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Does the database have a deadline or times attached to it?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Luis Vázquez de Lara -

Thanks for your response.

No it hasn't deadlines. Just the time since it is available. I cleared all the dates but students can't add entries yet. The weird thing is that this very same activity was not giving any problem last year.

In reply to Luis Vázquez de Lara

by David Campbell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I am having a similar problem with setting up databases in one course. The "add entry" tab doesn't show for the students.  Were you able to find a solution?

In my case creating a database in another course works fine. It is just in one course where it seems to be a problem. I have tried creating several different ones, but they all have the same problem. The settings on the first attempt were:

• Require approval set "yes"
  • Allow comments "yes" (From what I have read these shouldn't be set to "yes" together because adding a comment then approves the entry.)
  • Entries required for completion was set to 2
  • Restrict Access was set from Dec. 19 7:30 to Dec 25 11:55 pm

I have tried different settings from not requiring approval and no comments and not having any access restrictions.

I have checked the permissions and they seem okay. Students can write and view entires. I have tried Firefox, Safari and Chrome browsers. I have purged the caches on the browsers and on moodle after making changes. I have also looked over MoodleTracker, but haven't seen anything similar.

In reply to David Campbell

by David Campbell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have solved this problem. The course is set up to have separate groups and the test student and view as student (as a teacher) were not in a group. The minute I put the test student in a group the "add entry" tab became available. I hope this will help anyone else who has this problem in the future.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)