I think I found the answer to most installation problems!!

I think I found the answer to most installation problems!!

by Peter Richardson -
Number of replies: 1
While I just finished (and am waiting for the shoe to drop), after days of trying to do an install of Apache, PHP and Mysql on my Suse 9.2 server and struggling to get it all to come together, I discovered XAMPP at www.apachefriends.org. It was magic.  In two minutes (really) all three were installed including GD.  There was a small amount (very small) of tweaking for security reasons (no root password for mysql), but it was incredible.  According to the web site, it works for RedHat, Mandrake and Debian as well and there is a windows, Mac, and Solaris version.

Thought everyone should know.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Richardson

Re: I think I found the answer to most installation problems!!

by Bob Boufford -

Peter,

Welcome to the group of satisfied XAMPP users. If you search the Moodle forums, you will find many of us highly recommend Apache Friends XAMPP over other AMP setups. (Martin, I would recommend in the "new installation" documention of dumping the EasyPHP for Windows along with RPM stuff for Linux and just going with XAMPP for all platforms.)

A little tip that I found very helpful if you are using different platforms (Windows, Solaris and Linux for me) is to keep the same path for all systems (/opt/xampp....) with the addition of the 'drive letter' for Windows.  Makes for much easier management of the systems.

Cheers,

Bob