We've been experiencing this error for some time now and after reading and all threads that relates to this error on this forum, we've still not able to do any remedy for this. What's different with our situation is that the Moodle Server freezes and does not response. What we do is restart the system and it becomes OK again. We've been suspecting that it could be a hardware problem, first the harddisk, we've replaced the hard disk and restored Moodle, but still problem occurs. I'm now suspecting it could really the server that has a problem. Below are the details of the installation and server specs. All help, suggestion and replies are much appreciated. Thank you very much!
Moodle Version: 2.4
Moodle Server Spec:
- OS: CentOS 5.9
- 1 x 2.0GHz Quad Core Xeon E5504 Nehalem
- Chipset/FSB: Intel 5520
- 4 x 2GB DDR3 1066 ECC Reg in 18 DIMMs
- Expansion slot: 2 PCI-E 2.0 x8
- 1 PCI-E x4
- 3 PCI-X 133/100 Mhz
- LAN: Dual Gigabit LAN
- VGA: ATI ES1000 32MB Graphics Controller
- Intel ICH10R SATA Controller
- RAID 0, 1, 5, & 10 – Check OS COMPATIBILY
- 1 x 1TB SATA BARRACUDA ES hard disk
- 8 x 3.5"Hot Swap SAS/SATA; 3 x 5.25"bays
- Power Supply: 800Watts Redundant Power Supply
- Cooling System: 5 x 8cm heavy duty cooling fans,
- Super Doctor III, Watch Dog
When LMS is accessed it displays "Fatal error: $CFG->dataroot is not writable, admin has to fix directory permissions! Exiting." and the server freezes but can still be pinged.
Should anyone require further details I'd be glad to answer.