With Tin Can, do I still need Moodle ?

Re: With Tin Can, do I still need Moodle ?

by Marcus Green -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The problem with that solution Guillermo is then they wouldn't have a virtual learning environment and for many organisations the most significant benefit of having a VLE is that they have a VLE  and they can tell people they have a VLE because a VLE is a good thing (tm).

<grins>

Marcus

In reply to Marcus Green

by Guillermo Madero -

LOL, yes Marcus, you're right about that! The marketing factor smile

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Paul Raper -

Not Only Guillermo. wink We as a University are looking at moving away from your approach since students accountability is a huge issue. We need to know who has downloaded what and when. On top of that, for those more experienced users/designers, we can create very attractive courses, and add far more detail than is contained in the pdf alone. Many, many good reasons to use a VLE rather than a directory.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Paul Raper

by Guillermo Madero -

Hello Paul,

I agree completely about the benefits of having and using an LMS. What I said was in regard to the requirements expressed by Philippe:

So if I remove from Moodle grades, tracking and reporting because all this would happen in a LRS, I just have roles, groups, authentification and enrolment (for an organisation just using Moodle to launch SCORM packages).

I don't vouch for one solution or another, I just support the concept that one, as a solution provider, must find the best option according to the client's requirements, whether that is a simple password-protected directory, a straightforward site, a forum web app, a collaboration environment like GoogleDrive, an LMS or anything else. For example, regarding the "we need to know who has downloaded what and when", the web server logs offer far better (more detailed) reports; and about the "we can create very attractive courses, and add far more detail", a simple classic web site could be created with pages consisting of engaging, good-looking SCORM modules. By saying this I'm not trying to be controversial nor trying to demerit the benefits of having the VLE, I'm just showing that there always other options (even if they are not necessarily the best) and that for some people those might be just right smile