Problem with Guest access

Problem with Guest access

by Ken Russell -
Number of replies: 2

Moodle 2.5

As site admin, I have been unable to get Guest access to work. I have carefully read and followed the Guest Access docs: http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Guest_access (three times!). The "Login as Guest" button appears on the site front page, but when a visitor clicks it they get the message, "Invalid login, please try again." All my settings appear to be correct. I can't see what might be wrong.

One question I have is whether there needs to be a "Guest" account set up, there is no Guest user in the user accounts, does there need to be? I think not, but that is the only thing I can think of.

Any suggestions on how to solve this problem would be appreciated very much!

Ken @ Bellingham School District

Attachment 9-10-2013 9-51-12 AM.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ken Russell

Re: Problem with Guest access

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes - I have seen this problem; it is something to do with duplicate guest account in the database ( a bit technical for me) Have a look at this forum thread: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=134099 but as you point out - no - you don't need guest access if you aren't going to have any guests!

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Problem with Guest access

by Ken Russell -

Mary, thanks for your help. We do need guest access for our parents. I looked at the forum thread and read it pretty carefully, trying some of the solutions, none seemed to work (but some go back to pre-2.0 versions. One of the things I checked on was whether there is a guest account in myphpadmin. There is an admin account but no guest account there. It is unclear to me whether there should be one or not because it is a "built in" account. But it seems like there should be one. Should I one? I'm not sure how I would set up the account, such as what to use for the email address. Is there some who has moodle with a functioning guest account where they could check in myphpadmin for how the guest account is set up?

Thanks for any help you can give me!