Automated testing using Selenium

Automated testing using Selenium

by QA OU -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I understand that Moodle2 has an existing collection of automated regression tests for Selenium.

Can you please let me know, where can I find it?

Is there a link for these tests?

Thanks,

Shoham, Automation Team,

The Open University.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to QA OU

Re: Automated testing using Selenium

by David Monllaó -

Hi,

From Moodle 2.5 we are testing automatically Moodle every day (Moodle 2.5 last results and Moodle 2.6 last results) we use Selenium in the backend, but we write the tests as expected behaviours using a human-friendly language.

These behaviours are part of the Moodle codebase, you can list them with find /your/moodle/dirroot -name *.feature each of those files steps are transformed to PHP code which uses Mink (http://mink.behat.org/) to convert them to Selenium commands or other browser automation tools commands, so there are not Java Selenium tests that you can download if this is what you are looking for.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Monllaó

by QA OU -

Thanks. 2 more questions -

1. Can you specify what is the relation between Selenium and Behat?

If we install and run behat test framework, where does selenium fit in?

2. Regarding Selenium, how can we know how to choose the right option for us:  Should we install/use Selenium server or selenium API? Web driver of Selenium RC?

In reply to QA OU

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

1. Isn't that exactly what David explained in the above post? Behat describes the tests to perform, these tests are then translated into commands that are passed on to Selenium to execute (except for tests that do not require javascript, in which case a simple, fast PHP server is used instead to serve the pages directly).

2. Did you follow the link I gave you earlier? If you read through that, you will come across this line (in the 'Quick start' section):

6. Download selenium-server-standalone-2.NN.N.jar from http://seleniumhq.org/download/, under "Selenium server (formerly the Selenium RC Server)"

Unless I am mistaken, that already answers your question.