Moodle 1.9, attendance backup problem

Moodle 1.9, attendance backup problem

by Bernard J -
Number of replies: 5
In my institution we are using moodle 1.9. With one course there is a problem when making backup. When I check attendance box, the backup doesn't create itself, but when I start backup without attendance check box, backup creates itself. And this problems happens only on one particular course. Considering that I am new in moodle, I kindly ask for suggestions where should I look for the problem?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bernard J

Re: Moodle 1.9, attendance backup problem

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there and welcome to Moodle. First thing to be aware of is that Moodle 1.9 is really old - your institution should be planning an upgrade to Moodle 2 before the end of this year - support for general bug fixes in Moodle 1.9 finished in June 2011 and Security updates will no longer be occurring for the 1.9 branch after Dec this year.

Next - The attendance plugin is a 3rd party contributed plugin - it doesn't come with the Moodle core download and is supported/developed by someone else. That person has since moved on and now no support for the 1.9 version of the attendance plugin is available.

You could try to find if there is a more up-to-date version of the attendance plugin to install on your site but it would be better for you to focus your energy on encouraging your institution to upgrade to a newer Moodle release.

There is a new version of the attendance module available for Moodle 2.3 and higher which is supported but this version doesn't work with older Moodle releases.

hope that helps!

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Bernard J -

Thank you Dan for your reply.

The thing is that we have two moodle sites, the newset version and older 1.9 version. It is that way because we are slowly - slowly adapting and migrating to a new version of moodle, so thats why we are still using old one (until we migrate completely, which should be soon).

I am going to look for a newer version of that module for that moodle version, but I have a feeling that it is not a solution because the problem exists only on one course, with rest of them module works perfect.

In reply to Bernard J

by Bernard J -

Anyone? sad

In reply to Bernard J

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I would suggest deleting it from the course and recreating it.  If it is only one course, there has to be something corrupt about it.  

In reply to Bernard J

by Mark Pearson -

Bernard,

If you're moving the course to a version 2 site then just uncheck Attendance in the backup process on the 1.9 system and do the course backup. There's nothing to be gained from backing up/restoring Attendance anyway. None of the user data will transfer and all the session information would be stale and need recreating. Far better to start from scratch and add and configure Attendance in the newly restored course in the 2.x system. Ditto for the News forum -- I never backup that one because it merely ends up duplicating on the newly restored course.

Here's a document I wrote for adventurous users to transfer their own courses. It probably has limited applicability for you though.

Mark

Average of ratings: Useful (1)