I have Moodle 1.4.5 installed and tried to install HotPot module. I get a message saying the HotPot module 2005031417 cannot be istalled unless I have Moodle 1.5 2005042300.
Where can I find a version of HotPot module that works with Moodle 1.4.5? I can't find it on the download page.
Thanks in advance
actually, the HotPot module works on any version of Moodle back to v1.1.1, so I am not sure why it has a setting requiring Moodle v1.5.
To solve your immediate difficulty, you can try the following:
- locate the file "moodle/mod/hotpot/version.php" and open it with your favorite text editor
- change the following line:
$module->requires = 2005042300; // Requires this Moodle version
... to this:
$module->requires = 2003091111; // Requires Moodle version 1.1.1
- save the file and close your text editor
- now login to your site as Administrator and re-visit the Administration Configuration page
- the hotpot module should now install, and you will see messages confirming that the database tables have been set up correctly
In the meantime, I will consult with Martin D. and see if it is possible to make the above change to the CVS.
all the best
I got the all clear from Martin D. and updated "hotpot/version.php" in the CVS so that the minimum required Moodle version is v1.1.1.
The new file should be included in the official downloads of the hotpot module in a few hours time, so you can either wait a while and try the download again later today, or if you're in a hurry, you can make the changes yourself, as I described in my earlier message.
all the best!
I downloaded version.php to examine it. It already has that line in it. So I guess it did when I started installing Hotpot v2.
$module->requires = 2003091111; // Requires at least Moodle version 1.1.1
I'm still hacking away at this problem.
The only thing that doesn't work is when I have an exercise with a navigation button linking to another exercise. Though I have uploaded the file, I get the message File not Found. Isn't it possible to link from one file to another in the Moodle HotPot Module?
Thanks in advance
I'm glad to hear you have successfully installed "HotPot v2".
If you have two (or more!) HotPot quizzes and you want to go straight from one to the other without going via the Moodle course page, here my suggestion:
- add all the HotPot activities to the same section of the course
- when you add the HotPot activities, be sure to set the "Show next quiz" setting to "yes". If I were you, I would also set the "Navigation" setting to "none", or maybe "Moodle navigation bar"
Now when one quiz finishes the next one will automatically display, and the results for each will be recorded in Moodle.
Is that what you wanted?
I thought I would only need to upload all the files and the next one would display or I could use a navigation button as in the original HotPot file.
> what's the point in linking several HotPot files,
> if I have to add them individually as HotPot Quizzes
I suppose the point is that Moodle has to give each quiz an id, so that it can keep track of the results. When the results come in, Moodle needs to know which student has just attempted which quiz, so that it can compile grades and statistics.
Several other people have asked about this, so I will put the following on the list of future enhancements:
- allow several HotPot quizzes to be added at once
- allow several quizzes to be chained together without them all showing on the course page
I don't know if or when these will appear in the module, but they are on the list
Thanks again for your quick reply and explanation.
Now I understand why I have to add each quiz to the course page.
Congratulations for all the excellent work done with the HotPot Module and when the enhancements you listed appear on the module, it will be even greater!