mod/glossary:exportentry without mod/glossary:manageentries

mod/glossary:exportentry without mod/glossary:manageentries

by V Knight -
Number of replies: 8

I would like to set mod/glossary:exportentry  for student users of a Moodle course so that they can export URLs from the course to a file.  Portfolios are enabled on the site and for student users, and I can export entries myself because I have mod/glossary:manageentries allowed. But I don't want student users to be able to edit glossary entries.

Is there a way of allowing students on a course to export glossary entries without also permitting them to edit them?  It would be extremely laborious to go tinkering with lots of settings to see which combination works.

At the very least I think the documentation for mod/glossary:exportentry should make this clear.  For that matter the Glossary FAQ http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Glossary_FAQ does not mention exporting glossary entries, only importing them.  The same is true of the Import/Export FAQ http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Import_and_export_FAQ

Average of ratings: -
In reply to V Knight

Re: mod/glossary:exportentry without mod/glossary:manageentries

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

This is very easy. In your glossary's Administration block, click on the Permissions link and then "Override permissions for role 'Student' in Glossary ..." click on the allow Export entries.

screenshot #1

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by V Knight -

Thank you for that. I have tried overriding the permissions for students in the way you suggest and it makes no difference. I have also had a look at the code behind glossary export and it seems to require mod/glossary:manageentries to be set before a user can export individual entries.

N.B. 'mod/glossary:export' and 'mod/glossary:exportentries' do quite different things and it is the latter I wish to have working.

In reply to V Knight

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Are you not seeing the Export entries link in the Glossary's Admin block?

screenshot #1

"N.B. 'mod/glossary:export' and 'mod/glossary:exportentries' do quite different things and it is the latter I wish to have working."

I do not see those two settings!

by V Knight -

Thank you for that.  I was really hoping to enable export of individual entries (indicated by a green up arrow by each entry), but exporting all entries in the glossary (as this does) is better than nothing and I will implement it.

mod/glossary:export and mod/glossary:exportentries are two of the options under System permissions. I'm using Moodle 2.2.2.

In reply to V Knight

by Joseph Rézeau -

"individual entries (indicated by a green up arrow by each entry)"

What are those? please post a screenshot.

Because you had links to the moodle 2.5 docs in your original post I took it that you were using that version (2.5). We should really have a rule in these forums asking people to ALWAYS mention their moodle version.wink

by V Knight -

For my part, I wish that it were easier to find out from a Moodle installation which version of Moodle is being used. It is harder to get this information from Moodle than from almost any other software I know.  I have had to relay this and other instructions and requests to a Moodle administrator and await a reply!

The green arrow is illustrated in the documentation at: http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Using_Glossary:

green up arrow from documentation

In reply to V Knight

by Joseph Rézeau -

V Knight "For my part, I wish that it were easier to find out from a Moodle installation which version of Moodle is being used."

Totally agree! One way for an "ordinary teacher" to find out about the Moodle version of their site is described in the documentation here. See also this discussion, especially the last post by Helen Foster. I personally disagree that displaying the moodle version would be a "security issue" and strongly advocate a return to a clear display of the version being used by a site, at the very least to teachers. You may add your vote to MDL-26852.

And what is your moodle version, then?

The link you provide http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Using_Glossary leads nowhere.

Now as regards that "green arrow", I see from your screenshot that it only appears if a "Portfolio" add-on is installed on your moodle site. I suggest you contact the author of the Portfolio add-on you are using (or ask your admin to do so) for any problem related to that add-on.

Joseph

by V Knight -

I'm using version 2.2.2, I'm told.

Portfolio functionality isn't an add-on, but a standard plugin that comes packaged with Moodle, though disabled by default. I do not know who the author of the portfolio plugin is and surely it shouldn't be necessary to do so in order to report a problem with it.