Wiki

Restoring WIki

This discussion has been locked because a year has elapsed since the last post. Please start a new discussion topic.
Picture of Francois Evans
Restoring WIki

I backed up a course from a Moodle v2.4 system and imported it into a new, separate Moodle system (v.2.3).

The course seems to have imported OK, but the contents of its wiki has gone. Instead, I have the wiki name, but when I click on the wiki, it asks me to build the wiki from scratch. sad

I can see that from inside the original wiki, it's possible to back it up, from Settings>Wiki administration , after I do this though, when I click on the imported wiki in the new course (inside the new, separate, Moodle system), the wiki is, again, empty.

So, two questions:

1. why was the wiki not backed up as part-and parcel of the original course?
  2. Why does the restored wiki not get restored once it's been imported into the new Moodle's course?

Many thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
1997年頃(結婚前)の写真です...
Re: Restoring WIki
Group Translators

Backup function of standard wiki has a bug that all of attached files in the wiki are not backed up rightly.

Your trouble is not equal with above trouble, but if your wiki contents has any attachment (for example, as image), you will encounter above trobule too.

Let you see https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=227237 .

paula
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Francois,

The backup/restore file will not include all the data from a Wiki, even with the include user data turned on in the backup. Even duplicating the Wiki in a course or importing from other courses will not include the old pages. What I do when I have pages that I want in the new wiki, I copy the html out of the old wiki for each page.  I then set up the pages and copy the html into each page.  When I have an instructor that uses the same Wiki in each new reiteration of their course, I save those html files in a hidden folder at the bottom of their course so they are easy to find.

Paula cool

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
1997年頃(結婚前)の写真です...
Group Translators

Paula wrote:

> The backup/restore file will not include all the data from a Wiki, even with the include user data turned on in the backup.

This is right.

Francois:

If you can turn on "Include enrolled users" etc..., let's try cheking backup file (*.mbz).

(Backup)  Initial settings

Check box : Include enrolled users [x] : default

(Download and check the backup file)

After backing up the wiki data, you download the backup file (*.mbz). Next, you change extension of the file from *.mbz to *.zip, then you can browse file list of the backup file.

/activities/wiki????/wiki.xml : this file is data of all wiki pages.

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

(Just to note that a regular teacher can't choose to include enrolled users; you have to have that permission, such as admin)

1997年頃(結婚前)の写真です...
Group Translators

Oh! I'm not aware the restriction since I'm always admin user on my moodle site... Thanks > Mary!

Picture of Francois Evans

Tatsuya, Paula, Mary,

Thank you for your tips. smile

paula
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Tatsuya,

Thank you for sharing that.  I will have to try that!

Paula cool