Embedded Questions (CLOZE) Question

Embedded Questions (CLOZE) Question

av Jay Domnitch -
Antall svar: 9

I have two questions...

1. For the numerical embedded questions, is it possible to have a question where either answer A or answe B will be correct.

For example, if I ask students to solve a quadratic equation, there are usually two answers. I ask for one of the two answers (I assume if they get one correct, they should know how to get the other). Is there a way of coding this so that either answer would be marked as correct.

2. Is there a way of setting the decimal places to which I want the students to round.

In other words, if an answer is 1.283 and I ask to round to the hundredth's place, the answer should be 1.28. I do not want it to be marked correct if they put 1.3. (It would be alright with me if they type 1.283 for the answer).

Any insight to t his would be much appreciated.

Thank you!!

Jay

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering: -
Som svar til Jay Domnitch

Re: Embedded Questions (CLOZE) Question

av ryan wise -
Why not use a short answer question for this?

That allows multiple correct answers as well as wildcard characters.

So you could allow 1.28*  and 1.28, 1.283 1.2835 etc would all be marked correct.

av Miles Berry -
Hi Jay,
Both of these are possible.

For 1, you could do something like:
Give a solution of this quadratic equation: x²-5x+6=0
x={1:NUMERICAL:=2~=3}

For 2, you have a couple of options, either:
  • allow answers of 1.283±0.005: {1:NUMERICAL:=1.283:0.005}; or
  • allow both 1.283 and 1.28 as acceptable answers: {1:NUMERICAL:=1.283~=1.28}
You might also be interested in the work being done on using computer algebra systems to mark (and indeed set!) questions; have a look at http://maths.york.ac.uk/serving_maths/ at least some of which will be in the 1.5 release.

Som svar til Miles Berry

av Jay Domnitch -
For 2, you have a couple of options, either:
  • allow answers of 1.283±0.005: {1:NUMERICAL:=1.283:0.005}

Hello again Miles,

The tolerances in this format do not seem to work for me. I am using moodle v1.4.4. Do you think that might be the problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Jay

av Miles Berry -
How curious...
It works fine in 1.4.2 and the latest 1.5 ALPHA.
My only suggestion is to go back in to editing the question and see what the input filter's done:
  • My 1.4.2 says: {1:NUMERICAL:%100%1.283:0.0049999999999999} (I've had this sort of weird rounding effect happen before, I guess it's to do with internal storage formats)
  • Whereas 1.5 alpha says {1:NUMERICAL:=1.283:0.005} still.
Others here may be more knowledgeable about any changes between the different 1.4 builds, but my gut feeling is that this wouldn't have changed.

Som svar til Miles Berry

av Jay Domnitch -

It works fine now. I am not sure why it didn't work earlier.

Thanks!!

Jay

av Nick Edwards -
I am trying to create a question with multiple answers that would both get 100 percent in the code can anyone tell me if that is possible and if so what the code would be?

Nick

Som svar til Nick Edwards

av Beate Luo -

Hi Nick,

I've had the same question and just tried what I had seen in answers written previous to your post and it also works for short answer questions, not only numerical ones. 

Here my example from a Spanish test:

Este libro de {2:SAC:=aquí~=acá} es interesante.

So after your first answer you just add ~= and the second answer. Both answers will be counted as correct.

Hope that helps.

Beate