Forum Issue: Students cannot reply (not a news forum issue)

Forum Issue: Students cannot reply (not a news forum issue)

by Mark Clinton -
Number of replies: 6

Forums have been used for well over a year in my school and they have worked brilliantly.  However, I recently added a forum and now students cannot reply.  The site admin/teacher can reply but the only action available for students is "show parent."  I have searched the forums for hours and am coming up with nothing...

This forum was not created as a News Forum.

Group mode is set to No Groups.

Group mode is not forced.

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Clinton

Re: Forum Issue: Students cannot reply (not a news forum issue)

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Which type of forum is it?

You say group mode in the forum is set to no groups -what is the setting for the course ? Which version of Moodle is it?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Clinton -

Versions (not sure which one):

• Moodle 2.4.5+ (Build:      20130830) Version 2012120305.12 (Stable version)
  • Moodle 2.5.1+ (Build:      20130830) Version 2013051401.12 (Stable version)

Type of Forum:

We've tried each one but we would prefer the: A single simple discussion.

The course is set to "No Groups" as well.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Clinton -

Just found this:

Moodle version:  2012120304.07

In reply to Mark Clinton

by Mark Clinton -

Update:  I logged on with my test student and finally saw the reply button.  However, when logged in as SiteAdmin and switching my role to student, I still see no "Reply" link.  The students that are enrolled in the class are automatically synced from RenWeb (cloud based school management service) and also cannot locate the “Reply” link. 

When I manually enroll students, the "Reply" link is magically there!  So, I'm thinking that I either need to manually enroll students (not fun) or look at how Moodle syncs with RenWeb. 

Spending far too much time on this...

In reply to Mark Clinton

by Kristi Galoci -

Mark and Mary,

I'm not sure if you resolved this issue. I have been struggling with the same problem, however some students are able to reply while others are not. I have a mix of self and manual enrollments, mostly manual. Is there some sort of time delay for replying? I am using the "each person posts one discussion" forum. Also spending too much time. Students as well. Would appreciate any new information you come across.

Thank you!