Trouble getting grades for "users who have, or have not, attempted the quiz" AND "highest grade"

Trouble getting grades for "users who have, or have not, attempted the quiz" AND "highest grade"

by Peter Halverson -
Number of replies: 8

Moodle 2.4   Hi all,

I feel like maybe there is a bug in the behaviour of the report generator that you get when you are in the  course > click a quiz > click the attempts,

and then select this combination of parameters:  (See attached screenshot)

• Separate group:  P1  (My first class)
  • Attempts from "enrolled users who have, or have not, attempted the quiz
  • Attempts that are "In progress=yes, Overdue=yes, Finished=yes, Never submitted=yes"
  • Show only attempts "that are graded for each user (Highest grade)=yes"

Here is what I want and what did happen in Moodle 2.2.    (Now I have 2.4)

What I want is every single student in the group.  Once.

The situation is that most students have finished the quiz.  A few have done it twice.  A few have not finished it.  A few might have not even started it.

The ones who have not finished, I want to give them a zero, or something that signals they need to finish.

Anyhow, the problem is that some of the students who started but have not finished the quiz are missing from the report.  For example, in my first period class, there are 26 students.  Two have started but not finished.  The list in the report shows 24 students.   The two that did not finish are missing.

This is a problem because it prevents me from easily cutting-and-pasting the grades into my gradebook.  (I don't use the Moodle gradebook) It means I must be very careful to not mismatch grades and the students who earned them.

Any ideas?

Another way of asking this question is:

What is the logic of the check marks?   In Moodle 2.2 it seemed that it meant

Student in Group P1 AND ((quiz in progress) OR (Overdue) OR (Finished) OR (Never Submitted)) AND (If there are two or more attempts just use the highest grade attempt)

Is that correct??   (This is what I want)

Sincerely,

Peter Halverson

Attachment Screen Shot 2013-09-01 at 3.34.02 PM.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Halverson

Re: Trouble getting grades for "users who have, or have not, attempted the quiz" AND "highest grade"

by Peter Halverson -

Hi again,

I have narrowed the problem down a bit.

If I am looking at quiz results as described above, then I see

1)  All the students who have finished the quiz.

2)  All the students who have not yet begun the quiz.

The students who have begun but not yet finished are invisible.  (That's the problem I want to fix.)

I did a little experiment.  I created a "test" student.  The student has not yet begun the quiz.  He is in the list.  Now he begins the quiz and "poof", he is now invisible.   That behaviour has got to be A BUG!

Help!

Sincerely,

Halverson

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

Re: Trouble getting grades for "users who have, or have not, attempted the quiz" AND "highest grade"

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, this is a bug. 

Are we sure this has been fixed in Moodle 2.6 dev? I can't see any changes that might have fixed it there.

I can't find a tracker issue for this. MDL-37815 is similar but different.

by Peter Kupfer -

I agree that this is a problem. I have just been dealing with it because I didn't know what else to do. I'm guessing that technically it is the "expected" behavior because those students have no score, so I am not sure how to work around it.

In reply to Peter Kupfer

by Peter Halverson -

Thanks...

I might add that in Moodle 2.2 this problem did not exist.  The problem was introduced somewhere in the development of version 2.3 or 2.4.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Kevin Bleier -

I encountered a similar problem when I first tried to export all my student results to spreadsheet.

When you choose "enrolled users who have, or have not attempted the quiz" and then check all your boxes, did you then click "show report" to put those changes through?

I found that when I did that, then exported to spreadsheet, all my students showed up as I had hoped.

In reply to Kevin Bleier

by Peter Halverson -

Hi,

Yes, I am clicking "Show report" after adjusting the check boxes.

by Jayesh Anandani -
Hello Peter, I haven't tested this issue on 2.4 but it seems to be working fine on the latest moodle 2.6. You can visit this site: qa.moodle.net and check the same. The student who has started but not finished will be shown "in progress" with the options selected as shown in screenshot. I will have a look at 2.4 today and if I am able to get a workaround I will post it by tonight. Thanks
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jayesh Anandani

by Peter Halverson -

Hello Jayesh,Did you have a chance to look at the problem under version 2.4?  At this point upgrading to 2.6 i not an option for me.

Thanks,

Peter Halverson