Accessing reports for quizzes

Accessing reports for quizzes

by Kevin Bleier -
Number of replies: 19

Using Moodle 2.4, trying to access information about how my students did on a short quiz.  I can click on "attempts: xxx" to access the grade report,  but I cannot seem to find how to access the responses report and statistics report described here:

http://docs.moodle.org/24/en/Quiz_reports

I do not see a "results" submenu on the quiz menu bar to the left.  When I click on the "results" hyperlink at the top while in the grades report, it just takes me to the grades report again.

Love to be able to see what my students put for a commonly missed question.  I know this is possible, I'm sure it is right in front of me, but cannot find it.

Thanks!

Kevin Bleier

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Bleier

Re: Accessing reports for quizzes

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Click on the individual attempt to see the detailed quiz responses.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Kevin Bleier -

I can click on each student's attempt in that overall grades menu, and that does show me what he or she answered.

But I want to see what the entire population answered for question 3, let's say.  Can I get statistics on how many students selected each answer choice?

In reply to Kevin Bleier

by Jamie Pratt -

Hi Kevin,

It sounds like what you are looking for is Analysis_of_individual_question_responses. Open the 'Statistics' report, this is on the sub menu which opens up when you click on "Results". From the statistics report click on the title of any question to see the list of responses given by students to a questions and how many students chose each response or did not respond at all.

Jamie

In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Kevin Bleier -

Thanks Jamie for the response.  Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm still not seeing the "results" link anywhere on my Moodle toolbar ... here's a screenshot:

Screenshot

Is there some kind of setting that I might have unchecked that is preventing that from showing up?  Again, I can click on "attempts: 101" and it brings me to the overview report page.  I then can see the "results" category up in the top where it tells you where you are, but when I click on that, it just takes me to the overview page again (no choices).

Funny, I can actually get there manually by typing in the webpage ... so in my hyperlink, when I get to [...]/mod/quiz/report.php?id=480&mode=overview

I can replace "overview" above with "statistics" and get to the statistics page, or "responses" and get to the responses page.  So clearly I can get to it, I just don't see links to those pages.

I am in moodle 2.4.4 build 20130513 if that helps.

Thanks!

Kevin Bleier

In reply to Kevin Bleier

by Jamie Pratt -

Hi,

I checked out the code for the quiz settings menu and the capability that is checked to see whether to display the quiz report in the menu is different to the capability used to control access to the report.

To see the menu item your user needs capability 'moodle/site:config'. Whereas to view the report they need a different capability that depends on the report concerned.

Jamie

In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Jamie Pratt -

No, sorry, 'moodle/site:config' controls the display of any settings in the site admin menu for the reports (which I don't think any quiz reports actually use).

Please :

• then click on the 'Check Permissions' link in the Quiz administration menu
  • type the name of the current user in the search box
  • select the user in the select box
  • click 'Check this user's permissions'
  • Type in 'mod/quiz:viewreports' and 'quiz/statistics:view' into the filter box and make a note of whether each capability is allowed, and report that back here. 

Thanks.

In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Kevin Bleier -

Yes, both capabilities are allowed under the user account I am using (I am the admin of my own Moodle, so I should be allowed to do just about everything)

But I did check to make sure.  And again, I can see the statistics and responses pages by manually typing in the right words in the address bar ... just do not see a "results" link anywhere.  Also appreciate the other person posting a reply and screenshot, but that setup does not look like mine at all.

In reply to Kevin Bleier

by Sakshi Goel -

Hi Kevin

The 'Results' link can be accessed from navigation block under quiz name.

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Ravi Vare -

Hi Sakshi & all,

I can't get Report of each Quiz in 'Navigation'

How does to make it?

Plz refer.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=236678#p1027892

TIA

Ravi Vare

In reply to Ravi Vare

by Jamie Pratt -

The Quiz reports moved from the navigation block to the Quiz Administration block in Moodle 2.5. So Ravi and Kevin, since you are using 2.4, you should be seeing links to the reports as in the screenshot Sakshi posted. Sorry I previously said they would be in the quiz administration block.

In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Jamie Pratt -

On the Moodle 2.4 quiz reports docs page it says :

Navigation > Course > Quiz name > Results will open a submenu that offers reports on:

Kevin and Ravi you might need to add a Navigation block to your site if you have not got one??

In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Ravi Vare -

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for response.

Plz see this Screenshot again. Navigation Block is there.

Something is missing by us.

Ravi Vare

Attachment Quiz individual report.jpg
In reply to Ravi Vare

by Sakshi Goel -

Hi Ravi

You are using Moodle2.5 version. So in 2.5 there is no link for results in navigation block. You can check the 'Result' link in Quiz administration block when you enter in the quiz a quiz administration block appears Under adminsitration block.

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Ravi Vare -

Hi Sakshi & Jamie,

Thanks for Response.

I am using Moodle 2.4.5+ (Build: 20130712)

Above Screenshot from THIS one.

One more Confusing Part-

I cant find out "Reports" in Course Administration

[See ScreenShot]

Attachment Not Report in Course.jpg
In reply to Ravi Vare

by Jamie Pratt -

Hi Ravi (and Kevin),

I have finally been pushed to actually set up a Moodle 2.4 instance to see what you should be seeing.

About the links for the course reports - in Moodle 2.4 the course reports are listed in the navigation block not under Course Administration. I can see them in the screenshot of the navigation block you have attached above, so this is as expected.

As for the quiz reports links - in your screenshot of your navigation block there are no sub menus for any of the quizzes listed, I can see that because there is no triangle next to the activity title. This could be an issue with the js for the navigation menu. There have been some unresolved issues with the js as reported here - https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-37182. Can you install firebug or something similar and see if there are any js errors reported? You might try  disabling the server setting for "Use slash arguments in Settings > Site administration > Server > HTTP" this apparently has fixed the js problem for others.

Attached are screenshots of the quiz sub menu you should be seeing for someone with or without permission to view the quiz reports.

Attachment noreportlinksasstudent.png
Attachment reportlinksasadmin.png
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Ravi Vare -

Hi Jamie,

Editing Navigation Block worked for me.

See ScreenShot

Thanks.

Ravi Vare

Attachment Configuring Navigation Block.jpg
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Jamie Pratt -

Oh, I see Ravi has posted a screenshot of the Navigation block without the reports' links.

I am not sure about in Moodle 2.4 but in 2.2 you have to open the activity then the sub menu appears. 

In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Kevin Bleier -

Ha.  Jamie's suggestion worked for me.  I had turned off the navigation block (it's a little unwieldy for me).  When I turned it back on, I could see the results links when I went to the quiz.

I was looking for it to be under the "quiz administration" set of links.  Might I humbly suggest putting it there as well?

I have multiple solutions now, so I'll be good either way

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Kevin Bleier