Grid Format update to test for Moodle 2.5

Grid Format update to test for Moodle 2.5

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 21
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi all,

I've done some quite major improvements to the Grid format and as I can only test so much, please could you test this version:

https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-courseformat_grid/archive/V2.5.3.3.zip

for Moodle version 2013051400.00 release 2.5 (Build: 20130514) and above.  It should be pretty stable.  There are no database updates so should be a matter of following the new 'Downgrade' procedure in the Readme.md file if you wish to revert back.

Ok, to make you salivate, I have (with the help of the good people on the theme's forum):

• Centered the grid icons.
  • Prevented the loading 'flash' when viewing the course.
  • Put in the ability to set a 'current section' and have it's associated icon highlight.
  • Other small tweaks.

If all goes well, I'll make a formal release next week.  I depend on you to help with this as it can be so frustrating not to hear, assume all is well, release and then get messages along the usual lines of 'I love the format, but......' just after a release which then causes changes and yet another release.

Cheers,

Gareth

Attachment grid_2_5_3_3.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Grid Format update to test for Moodle 2.5

by Brian Rigwald -

I don't know if I installed it wrong (copied the contents to the grid folder, but I think I did it right.  The squares are nicely centered, but there is a major issue.  While editing is on, I can see the course content in both Essential and Serenity themes.  The issue is that all the content is "gone" when out of editing mode.  The current topic doesn't change the item's appearance in the grid.  Turning on and off the lightbulb doesn't bring the content back.  The content is still there, since I can see it in the navigation block. 

I will have to figure out how to get back to the previous version, since I have to finalize things for the first day of school on Tuesday.

In reply to Brian Rigwald

by Brian Rigwald -

After attempting to revert back to a previous version (format_grid_moodle25_2013082200), I get the following error:

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Brian,

Firstly, thank you for testing the format.

Ok, I've retested and apart from a slight delay in shade box showing after turning editing off, things are working for me as expected with content showing in the shade box.  Please can you post a screen shot of the issue.

To answer some questions:

• When in editing mode you can see all of the content so that the educator can create the course and change things around as normal.  This is how it should work.
  • When not in editing mode, the content is hidden and visible via the icons.
  • Access to content through the navigation menu has always been the case since it was introduced.  I have no problem with this as hiding it from this point of entry would be frustrating to users.  Thus giving two different ways of accessing the course content whilst solving the 'scroll of death' as intended.
  • The highlight colour of the current topic is 'light blue' so may not show up on the theme you are using.
  • When upgrading you need to remove the entire contents of the 'grid' folder and replace with the new.  I thought I had this in the instructions but now see that I need to add it as I have with Collapsed Topics.
  • The 'Downgrade instructions' need altering to have a change to the 'config_plugins' table instead of removing the row and do a 'Purge all caches'.  You solve your downgrade issue, you need to insert a new row into the 'config_plugins' table with the following information (id is generated): plugin => format_grid, name => version and value => 2013082200 then do a 'Purge all caches' -> docs.moodle.org/25/en/Developer_tools.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Brian Rigwald -

Thanks for the info Gareth and let me say thank you for taking the time to create the suggested improvements.  I did delete the entire folder prior to installing the new version.  

I didn't post a screenshot of the issue, since I didn't think it showed anything, but I will continue with the downgrade and , if the downgrade is successful, then re-install the new version and do a screen captures for you.

by Brian Rigwald -

Here are various screen shots for the same 2 themes for the courses on our site:  Essential and Serenity:

Bulb turned on:

Essential - Non Editing (No highlight in grid)

The way content should look:

The missing content in Serentiy:

Serenity - No highlight in grid:

Serenity - They way content should look:

Serenity - missing content

I hope this helps!  big grin

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Brian,

Thanks, really helps as I see your using the 'Show one section per page' mode.  I've done some updates to address the issues you mentioned including a bit of JavaScript improvements - the link above will get the new version as I've redone the tag.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Brian,

I've solved the icon highlight with the 'One section per page' mode.  Also tested with content in that mode with my Shoelace theme (theme should not affect it) and all seems ok.  Please download a new replacement from the same link: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-courseformat_grid/archive/V2.5.3.3.zip.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Brian Rigwald -

Hi Gareth,

The changes were, indeed, successful.  Thanks!  The content is visible and the grid does highlight the current topic. approve

Because I am visually customizing the Essential Theme via custom CSS, is there something I could add to the Custom CSS area to adjust the highlight color on the grid, if I ever wanted to or is it more hard-coded in?

Thanks!

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Brian,

No problem.

If you want to change the colour on the grid with a theme's custom CSS then just use this:

.course-content ul.gridicons li.current {
background-color: #00bb00;
}

Changing the RGB code as appropriate.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Brian Rigwald -

Thanks!

(I actually figured it out with a lot of trial and error and "inspect element" in my browser.)

I added a little Custom CSS to center the title of each topic in the grid, as well.  A little touch that seems to polish it up a bit.  (Something I hadn't considered before, when the grid topics weren't centered.)

.course-content ul.gridicons li p.icon_content {
text-align: center
}

(I've had no css / html training.  All of it is just trial and error and examining examples.  This experience is helping me learn.  THANKS.)

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ta.  Nor had I considered centering, but now it makes sense.  I've updated the code.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi all,

Any more comments?

I'll probably leave this tag in GitHub but not worry with releasing on Moodle.org as I've almost finished coding CONTRIB-3240 - which has been in high demand for ages.  If anybody would like to test that too, please see the tracker using the link given.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Pascal Maury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Gareth ! 

First, thanks for your job !

We start to use this format with Moodle 2.5.1. I just got the last version ("MOODLE_25") from the new git repository. If we have problem I will tell you. 

Could you tell me if this version is stable ? Can I use it in a production site ? 

I read you are working on CONTRIB-3240, but it is only improvement, isn't it ?

Thank !

Pascal

In reply to Pascal Maury

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Pascal,

Anything without a tag - i.e from the repository direct - consider as unstable development work, anything that is tagged can also be considered stable but can change - https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-courseformat_grid/releases.  That is where I make commits to back things up as I'm going along.  The best place to get stable versions is from https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=format_grid which has links to the stable tags on GitHub.  I recommend only using those versions on a Production server and only when marked in the 'version.php' file as stable.

CONTRIB-3240 is an improvement and the code as such MUST NOT be placed on a production server until I release it formally.  However, if you wish to test it on a development server, then please do.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Pascal Maury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Gareth !

Thanks for the answer. I have some troubles with grid. I use Moodle 2.5.1.

With the grid version 2.5.3.3, I have this kind of problem : the same image is "too big" if I choose it for the 1st section but not if I choose it for the 2nd one :

With the version 2.5.4.2 and 2.5.4.3, I have :- a new green effect on current section (I suppose it is a new feature)
- the (same) image does not show at all

Maybe the images must have a specific size or format ? Can you help to find what is the problem ? I atttached the 2 images.

Thanks.

In reply to Pascal Maury

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Pascal,

Really odd!  I'll look into it.  Thank you for posting the images and screen shots along with version numbers - really helps smile.

The 'green' surround is indeed a new feature to highlight the current selected 'grid' icon because I added keyboard controls.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Pascal,

Sorry I cannot replicate at the moment even with V2.5.4.3 (where did you get it from as not officially released?).  Please see attached screen shot for V2.5.4.3.

I'm concerned that on one screen shot the section title is duplicated.  Could you show the console (i.e. Chrome developer tools in screen shot) and turn on developer level Debugging please, so that any errors really show.

Cheers,

Gareth

Attachment grid_issue.jpg

by Gareth J Barnard -

There is also a French language file included with the format, so I tested with that too and no joy...

As a thought, does a Purge all caches fix it?

Attachment grid_issue_2.jpg

by Shane Jeffery -

Loving the grid format.

Just a quick question. Is there a way to change the Green topic highlight at a system level so that all courses are the same?  

Thanks