Different roles per section in a single course ?

Different roles per section in a single course ?

by Michel DENIS -
Number of replies: 7

Hello,

I am building a course with just 2 sections:

* section 1 : usual roles: teachers versus students

* section 2 : both teachers and students should be able to add and edit resources and activities (this is a participative MOOC ...)

How can you set up different roles and access control per section in a single course ? What are the alternatives to get the right results ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

-michel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michel DENIS

Re: Different roles per section in a single course ?

by ben reynolds -

I don't think you can do this by section, but you have a much more granular control by doing it by activity.

Hmm. The more I look at this, the more I think you need two courses. In Course 1, your usual roles. In Course 2, everybody has whatever permissions you want them to have.

You can link the two together using a metacourse or just simply enroll both sets of users in two regular courses and put a link to each course in each course.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Michel DENIS -

Hi again Ben,

Is it possible to make this almost "transparent" ? I.e. that the two areas (one from teachers only and one freely usable by students) are on the same page/view for participants, one after the other ?

Thanks,
-michel

In reply to Michel DENIS

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi -I agree with Ben (smile) Often when I do training I put everyone in the same course as students first so they can experience different activities as students and I also set up a course with the default role as teacher and an enrolment key. I paste the URL of this course at the top of the student course and then only when I am ready do I give them the key to the course which they can edit. Depending on how many people there are I either manually allocate them a section (by adding their name to the section) or I go round and tell them which number they are. Of course if you are running a MOOC that has hundreds of people this would not work. It depends on numbers. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michel DENIS

by ben reynolds -

Hi Michel,

If you enroll users in the two courses, when users login they will see both courses.

If you mean can you make the second course visible inside the first, I would be tempted to play with an i-frame, but I'm not technically skilled enough to say whether that would work.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Michel DENIS -

Hi Ben, yes it should be a single course from the user's perspective ie activities of both types are on the same page.

Anybody knows a trick to put these together on same screen ?

Thanks,

-michel

In reply to ben reynolds

by CTI Moodle -

Hi. We tried to do exactly the same thing. The only way this would work is if you created a role for each user giving them permission to view their specific section. The problem is that you as administrator would have to set up the section with the activities that the user wanted and then allocate the different roles. In the end we created different courses and assigned roles to different users at that level.