Do Lessons really work?

Do Lessons really work?

by Doug Moody -
Number of replies: 5

I use MOodle 2.5.1. the lessons are confusing, to say the least. They "kinda" work, but not really.

For example, I wanted to add a button after an opening video that takes them to a quiz about the video. trouble is, I can only make one question. So it isn't really like a quiz. What's up with that???

There are other problems. I just want to know if I am wasting my time trying to make lessons work. If so, I will use traditional quizzes and Moodle media insertions. I like the concept of lessons, but they aren't working as expected.

I have read the docs, and watched some tutorials, but they are not explaining things very well. Plus, the examples used are not "real world" in nature.

Sorry to sound complaining, but maybe others feel the same way. I just want to know!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Moody

Re: Do Lessons really work?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Doug "I like the concept of lessons, but they aren't working as expected."

Well, if you find that lessons do not work as you expect this probably means that you have not really understood the concept of lessons in Moodle.wink

From what you say, I'm afraid you want to use Lesson as if it were a Quiz-like activity, but the Lesson activity in Moodle is a completely different concept from a test or quiz, although on the surface it is made up of the same type of questions.

In Moodle, the Lesson activity can be quite useful, but also very frustrating to get to grips with. Doug, can you give us the references of those tutorials you watched and did not find useful?

I'm sure our friend Mary Cooch will come up with useful tips here.

Joseph

In reply to Doug Moody

by Peter Seaman -

Hi Doug: I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with lessons, but I have found them most helpful for creating "branching" scenarios. For example, a student can choose various courses of action (A, B, or C). A leads down one path, which may or may not be successful; same for B and C. I believe Jason Cole once described the lesson module as a version of Choose Your Own Adventure.

I have really enjoyed building branching scenarios using the lesson module, and my students have really enjoyed learning from them. And I haven't found anything like the lesson module in any other LMS, so it has been a great reason for me to stick with Moodle. I'd recommend you dive into the Moodle docs and read up on lessons. If you are looking for simple questions and answers, the quiz module should serve you very well.

Peter

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Peter Seaman

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes Doug-what Joseph says - which are the tutorials you found unhelpful? It might be they are using an older version of lesson; I don't know. If you want some examples, I did a workshop on using lesson at the Mountain Moodle Moot in Montana in July and I uploaded some example lessons in a course on Moodle.net. It is here. Perhaps you might like to download it and try it as a student and then explore their make up as a teacher. http://moodle.net/?courseid=1214

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks for those very interesting examples, Mary!

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Doug Moody -

I went back, because of your encouragements here, and I think I have a better handle on lessons and their logic. So, things are working better for me now. Its not quite what I would have written, had I had the choice and was a great moodle programmer mixed

But, I think I can make it work. Thank you all.