Spam students - too many to unenroll manually

Spam students - too many to unenroll manually

by paul dubois -
Number of replies: 4

I just came back from vacations and I opened my moodle site and found that I have 174 PAGES of enrolled students. MOST of them seem to have email addresses that are not from real persons. It seems more like a spam than someone interested to enroll in the classes.

When I try to unenroll each, it takes a long time, at least two steps to do it and some seconds to load back again.

some sample addresses:

Zara Lynch posdaconbe1982+lynch3627@outlook.com Skokie Marshall Island\

neocheckheadlconna+sellars9693@outlook.com

havirured1976+whitehead3137@outlook.com

piechocastapic+freedman3216@outlook.com Castle Rock

South Africa

etc etc... .174 pages of it

PLease help

Average of ratings: -
In reply to paul dubois

Re: Spam students - too many to unenroll manually

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear of your spam problem. The documentation Reducing spam in Moodle has a few tips for cleaning up spam and also protecting against it in future.

In reply to paul dubois

by David Leaper -

I find using filters in 'bulk user' actions (Site administration/  Users/  Accounts/ Bulk user actions) the most efficient way of getting rid of these pests.

Good luck - I'm trying to find a way to stop outsiders from registering - see my post in this forum.

In reply to David Leaper

by Lynn Hadfield -

I also had that problem - and filtered out by using "Country NOT Canada" (since most of our users are from there).  Even then it will take some time to delete that many users. I then disabled self-registration but that's not always possible.